Sunday, September 4, 2005

The Weekend

Shawn's birthday was on Thursday of this week.  He's an old man at 24.  =) He didn't have a very eventful birthday since we had to wait till the weekend to get him anything.  But I still made him a cake.  Friday Shawn was supposed to watch Jasmine for me so I could get up early and go to the PowWow but she is teething and being a real pain in the butt.  I ended up staying up with her because he couldn't get her to stop crying, plus I couldn't seem to fall asleep.  I got about 2 hours of sleep before I had to get up.  He went with his mom to dinner (lunch) for his birthday with the baby while I was at the PowWow.  The guy who does our tattoos (Half Pint) was the main male dancer there.  We bought some necklaces and a few things for Jasmine's room.  They had this really cute indian dress for an infant that I was going to buy but I forgot it.  We only got one picture while we were there and it was of Half Pint.  I feel a little uncomfortable taking pictures at those things because I know some tribes feel like you're stealing a piece of them by taking their picture.  They made it clear when you were allowed to take pictures and when you weren't.  Usually if they were saying a prayer or a special song, they didn't want you to record it in any way.  We spent a few hours there before we went to the mall for Shawn's birthday present.  We got him a pair of shoes that he really wanted.  (he's obessed with shoes, just like a girl would be) There was a cute shirt I wanted to get at Spencer's but we're having troubles with the vehicles so I thought better of it.  When I got home, we were both hungry so we let his mom babysit for a few hours.  (GULP, the first time I've left her alone with anyone other than my mom) That went fine though, she slept through the whole thing.  I was considering going to my dad's house last night because I knew some of my family was coming up from Evansville.  I'm glad I decided not to though, I would've been waiting a long time.  Plus, I fell asleep shortly after we got home, expecting to be woken up by a screaming baby, but I didn't wake up till 6am and she was still asleep, she ended up sleeping till 9am!!  (10 hours straight asleep) At 6am, Shawn told me my brother had called and said that my uncle somehow got hurt at the races and broke his back, I immediately called my dad's house.  Unfortunately for my dad, he'd only been asleep for 20 minutes when I woke him up.  I agreed to go over there later on in the day before they went back to Evansville.  He was helping my dad in the pits when he slipped off a ladder and landed on the jack.  He was unconscious for quite some time and they took him to the hospital in an ambulance.  The xrays showed that his first vertabrae had a verticle piece completely broken off of it.  They told him he just needs to take it easy for a while and it'll heal on it's own.  I hope he goes to another doctor when he gets home because this place didn't sound very nice at all.  At any rate, he was well enough to take the 6 hour drive back and we all had a pretty good visit.  I hadn't seen two of my uncles in almost ten years until today.  So now we're home and Jasmine is asleep.  She's got one tooth that is in the process of coming through her gums.  You can just barely see and feel it.  She's not enjoying it.  She screams for hours and it seems like there's nothing to help her except baby tylonel.  We tried frozen washcloths, the teethers your supposed to put in fridge, you name it, we've tried it.  And what's worse, I'm the ONLY one that can get her to stop crying so it feels like I've constantly got a screaming baby attached to my hip.  Well, I'd better go.  I've got three rolls of film that need to be developed and then I'll post more pictures.  Once I figure out my mom's new digital camera, I'll post some too.  Hope everyone is well and that if you have friends or family in the hurricane areas, that you've heard from them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My babies like to chew on frozen french fries when they were teething. I guess the flavor helps a little...poor little thing. Baby Oragel helps some, but what they really want is--as you know--Momma.