Monday, January 2, 2006

Good golly miss Molly

Today was nothing unusual for this household.  I mean it's everyday that I see intestines on the outside of a breathing animals' body, right?  Molly was spayed on my birthday.  I felt that there was something wrong with the incision from the day we brought her home, even before it looked like there was.  It was swollen, hard and warm to the touch.  Just inflamed right?  I mean she'd just had surgery, it's expected that the site would be a little tender.  On Friday she began to leak a little blood from the incision.  I called the emergency vet because by then all the other vets were closed and of course the vet that did the surgery would be closed Saturday. (new year's eve) The emergency office said to keep an eye on it, tie a t-shirt around her stomache and watch for more blood or gaping wound.  I did all of the above.  I checked her several times a day for anything unusual.  By Saturday night, the swelling had went down but it still looked wrong.  It was hard to the touch.  Sunday morning, I woke up to the usual, Jasmine wanting a bottle and to get up for the day.  After feeding her, we went downstairs and I sat her on the living room floor while I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth.  I was on my way to change her when my mom noticed a single drop of blood on the floor.  The only dog missing from the picture, was Molly.  My mom went through the house calling for her and found Molly in her bedroom.  She was vomiting up a large amount of blood.  I ran to call the emergency, not yet aware of how serious the situation really was until Molly followed me into the kitchen and lay down.  She was covered in blood.  Half of her incision had come apart and about an inch of intestine was protruding from her belly.  I said to hell with calling them just get her in the car and let's go.  I left in my pj's, no make up and no bra.  I could've cared less about all those things at the time of course.  I thought for sure she would be dead before we even made it to the vet.  Almost a half hour away.  My mom tends not to react well (yes mom I'm sugar coating that one for your benefit) so if she had died in the car I wasn't going to tell her till we got there.  I called the vet from the car and they said someone would help us get her into the vet.  A tech came out and as gently as possible carried, Molly into the surgery room.  One of the first questions out of my mom's mouth was 'Is she going to die?'  All I could think was for my mom's sake, say no lady.  (some of you may remember, my mom had a dog several years ago that died from cancer and I don't think she really thought she would own another dog again, we couldn't lose Molly) The tech said no, that it happens all the time.  While Molly was on the table, she kept trying to move around and by the time she was sedated there was a good six inches of intestine laying on her belly.  She had also started bleeding again.  That's about the time we went into the waiting room because they were going to do surgery on her and put the intestine back where it belonged.  After about a half hour they came out to tell us she did great.  And can we please have the deposit for your dog now.  (it was VERY expensive but it was worth it to save her life... I would've bounced a check in a minute... luckily my mom didn't have to) The last time I called, she was doing fine and sleeping.  We'll pick her up in the morning.  Now we can concentrate on being mad about things that, at this point, no longer matter.  The vets have made it clear that they believe Molly's injury to be our fault.  There was implications that she was chewing at her wound or licking excessively at it.  Both not true.  If anything, Molly did better at ignoring her incision that any other dog we've ever had.  She could've cared less about them.  She wasn't overly active and as I said before, I felt something was wrong with the incision from the time she came home.  None of that will matter to the vet's office though.  It won't be their fault, it will be ours.  It's not that I expect a refund or anything like that.  I would just like them to take into consideration what they almost cost our family.  There's no replacing a family member.  I would also like them to discontinue the use of internal stitches.  At least for pet owners who know what to look for, we can see if the stitches are coming loose.  Who knows if the internal stitches came loose the day of the surgery or Sunday morning.  If they had been external, I could've given you an answer.  I feel the only reason internal stitches should be used is for cosmetic reasons.  And even then, I don't like them.  Give your dogs an extra pat on the head before you go to bed tonight and tell them it's from Molly.

No comments: