Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Hate

So I'm watching 30 Days right now and it's about an atheist woman living for 30 days with a Christian family.  It's really pissing me off.  I knew a lot of people were narrow minded but I had no idea it was to this point.  I listen to other people's views and try to be open minded and hear what they're saying but I wouldn't get the same from them.  I am a good person.  I was raised to have the same morals as any religious person.  I just don't believe in god.  Why should I have a book telling me what to believe and how to act?  Why do people have to tell you to be good and moral?  I'm a good friend, extremely loyal.  I treat people the way I want to be treated and try to give others the benefit of the doubt so why am I looked upon as being the anti-christ?  I try to do something nice for people everyday, even though it's usually something little.  I love my family more than anything in the world.  So why am I looked down upon?  I just don't get it.  My neighbor is a jehovah's witness.  I was discussing with him my stance on religon and god.  He scoffed at me when I told him I believed in evolution, not adam and eve.  Why am I to be accepting and respectful of other people's beliefs when they are so narrow minded towards mine?  Every atheist I've met is a caring person with good morals.  On this show, they said that the people in the united states (who are religious) are more accepting of gays than of atheists.  That really made me realize how much atheists are disliked.  You hear everyday about how gays are being prejudiced against and how hard it is for them to live the same way everyone else does so what does that leave for atheists?  I don't believe in god, that doesn't make me a bad person.  That doesn't mean I will go out tomorrow and kill a bunch of people just for fun.  I can't even kill ants for christ's sake.  I feel guilty about killing flies.  Come on people.  Open your minds a little and get a little understanding.  My daughter will be brought up with good morals, respect for her fellow human AND animal, a good work ethic.  Everything that christians teach their kids without the bible and god.  I just don't get it.  Love thy fellow man, not love only thy fellow religious god fearing man.  I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just had this conversation yesterday with someone. Some of the most rigid, mean spirited people I know are Christians who remake God into the image of a hate filled old man just waiting to punish people.

I suspect you do believe in God, anyway, just not THEIR god :-)  Anyone who loves animals and their baby is demonstrating Love, and that is all God is, anyway, IMHO.  I came to this conclusion after a long period of not believing in God myself.

love, Kas