Monday, December 4, 2006

Recognized

I went to petsmart today to pick up some calendars I ordered from a local foster program.  One of the women that run the organization recognized me from when I helped out at a few of their adoption events.  We got to talking about the fact that me and my husband are looking to adopt a dog.  She asked what I was looking for and suggested a few dogs on their website.  I  had looked at the site but quite frankly thought the fees were ridiculous.  (some dogs were $350)  She told me before I left that if I wanted one of their dogs, it was mine.  I'm not exactly sure what she meant by that but we may have her bring one or two of the dogs to petsmart within the next two weeks.  We already have an appointment with a shelter in plymouth for Thursday and I'd still like to take a look at their dogs before giving her a definite answer.  They know I would give a dog a good home.  I guess sometimes it pays to know so many people in rescue, too bad I don't know many in shelters.  Obviously, we have decided not to go with the humane society.  We had another run in with the vet there when we took August to meet the rotti.  We decided enough was enough and we don't need to be treated that way.  Maybe the next time we go to adopt a dog (YEARS from now since we will be up to four soon) we'll try there again and see how it goes.  For now, I can't stand to deal with that woman again.  The only reason I'm a little against going with this foster organization is because of several comments a guy made while I was up there about my choice to adopt a pit bull from the humane society.  He had the mentality that many have, all pits need to be put down.  I don't believe that.  I think you should always take caution no matter how long you've had the dog or how well you think you know them but I don't think they all need to be put to sleep.  They are aggressive dogs in all breeds.  At any rate I got my calendars and it's pretty cute considering how much (or little) I paid for them. 

No comments: