Friday, December 1, 2006

Shelter

We went up to the humane society again today.  Mostly to see Anikin but partly to see if anyone else stood out.  Anikin was so happy to see us.  I hate that he can't come back home.  We found two dogs that Shawn liked.  (I like them all) One was a border collie mix and the other looked to be a pure breed rott.  He's always wanted a rottie so we're taking August up there tomorrow to meet her.  I think he's having second thoughts now though.  I may have had some part in that.  Once we got home I looked up common problems with rott's and what you should know before you adopt them.  I already knew they could be bullheaded but it's hard to explain that to someone when they just really want the dog.  Anyways, if he changes his mind about the rott, whose name is Junior and who we thought was a boy.  (that's what the cage card said) Then SHE rolled over and we both were kind of like where's your pee-pee.  She was super sweet but rott's make me nervous.  The border collie is a male named Sammy.  He looked very uncomfortable at the shelter.  I know he hasn't been there long since he wasn't there last weekend.  He never barked and the only time he got up was when one of the girls walked by with another dog.  I know I could train a border collie, whereas I'm not sure if I could a rott.  Anyways, we asked the girl that brought Junior back to the family room if there was anyway we could see how the dog does with one of the shelter cats or take the dog into the cat room. (they're all caged)  She went to ask and another girl came back and gave us a big speech about how there's no guarantee and that the dog could do great with the shelter cats and then come back and eat one of our cats.  I explained what happened with Anikin and told her we just wanted to see Junior's initial reaction to a cat.  She said she'd go get one of the office cats.  She came back and told us we needed to talk to the vet that works at the shelter.  The vet was quite frankly a condescending bitch.  She talked to all of us like we were children.  (my mother was even with us)  She said if we couldn't handle the responsibility of introducing the dog/cat then we shouldn't adopt a dog at all.  She just made me want to start crying because she made me feel like a terrible person for not trying harder with Anikin.  There was NO changing that dog.  Only someone with training and experience could teach that dog not to eat those cats.  I love that dog.  And she made it seem like we tossed him aside without another thought.  She also made it seem like we didn't consider our child in all of this.  I don't want this to seem like I'm saying not to adopt from there just because of one person who was lacking in tact.  Just about every shelter/rescue is going to have someone that needs some training in dealing with people.  Everyone else has been wonderful.  I guess I just needed to vent somewhere.  If you're looking for a dog, PLEASE consider the humane society first.  They are absolutely overflowing with dogs and cats.  If you can't take in anymore animals, you could always donate your time, money or supplies.  Every little bit helps.

No comments: