Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Busy as bees

It was a busy weekend.  Saturday we went out for my husband's birthday to Hacienda.  He had fun.  I was sick with a bad cold so it was more a so/so event for me.  Sunday my mom, my brother's g/f Koda and myself all went to the Blueberry Festival.  It's the first time I've gotten to go.  There was a lot of neat stuff there.  Lots of crafts and more food than I could even process.  If I'd had money I would've went crazy at that place.  The fireworks were pretty good too but very loud.  I prefer them to be pretty with little boom.  =) The ride home was... interesting.  I've been very stressed out lately and sometimes it comes out in... odd ways.  I was driving and usually I know my way around Plymouth fairly well but I've never driven there in the dark or when there were 300,000 other people trying to drive away from the same area.  I got lost.  We ended up in the middle of no where, no cars, few houses.  It was pretty silent in the car.  Jasmine had fallen asleep not long ago.  Suddenly I brake hard.  I immediately hear Koda go what the hell???  My mom's looking at me like I've lost my mind.  They see nothing in road, no eyes peering from the cornfield.  That's when I proudly exclaim I didn't want to run over the baby frog.  "Omigod you almost got us killed over a baby frog!!!!"  =) I saw him at the last minute.  I saw a little hop hop hop and decided there was no way I was going to end his little life.  Apparently, the others in the car thought I may have made the wrong choice.  (looking back, I realize had I never hit my brakes at all, I never would've hit him that way either) It's instinct people.  I see living thing and I stop.  Sometimes I stop for dead things, just to make sure they're dead and not a suffering animal on the side of the road.  Once again the car becomes quiet after a lot of chickens clucking at me for my bad driving.  *eye roll* Suddenly I burst out laughing, tears streaming down my face.  The kind of laughing that you can't even get out the reason why you were laughing.  Eventually I told them I was laughing because I kept seeing the looks on their faces when I told them I'd stopped for a baby frog.  For the next twenty mintues the car was filled with cackling hens.  =)  Sometimes getting lost along the way makes the best part of an evening.  I'm just so glad that Koda fits so perfectly into our family.  It just feels right. 

Last night, me and Shawn were getting ready to pull out of the driveway to go get some food for dinner.  We live on a fairly busy road.  I immediately said omigod shawn do you see them?  There were two dogs in the road, a basset hound and a pit bull.  The basset hound having smaller legs just barely missed getting hit by a car.  My husband quickly pulled the car into the road and put it across both lanes of traffic.  =) Yes we are the people that you hate if you don't care about animals, we will go to any means to save an animals life, even if we have no idea who it belongs to.  Eventually we get them to go down a side street and we drive down there with them.  I get out of the car to try to coax them into the car till I can find their owner.  The pit bull warns me very quickly with a low growl that he isn't going any where with me.  However the basset greets me with his deep arwwwwwl bark.  He's slobbery but sweet.  I get up to walk to the car to tell Shawn that I'm not sure what I should do.  Something tells me to glance back at the dogs... mr. pit bull was just getting his teeth around my calf when he saw me and quickly ran back behind a tree.  Woooooosh.  Take a big deep breath... calm racing heart... you know you have to go back to those dogs.  Husbands advice is just knock on that door, their lights are still on.  Hmmm yeah it's 9:30 at night in a neighborhood that is very wary of people knocking on their doors.  We live quite close to bad neighborhoods.  I knock on the door, trying to look and sound as unitimidating as possible.  A man walks around the corner of the house and has a tone, "Can I help you?' I say yeah I was wondering if these were your dogs?  Obviously they're not, stupid question otherwise he would know why I'm knocking on his door.  He says no but try his neighbor they've got a lot of dogs.  Another tone?  Definitely not a fan of his neighbor.  Take a deep sigh and trudge over to the next house with dogs in tow, apparently mr. pit bull has decided he won't eat me... yet.  Another knock on another door.  baroooof ruff arf Many dogs come rushing to the door, more in anticipation of a visitorthan an intruder.  I'm told to go around the side of the house.  A big jolly man walks out with a cell phone up to his ear.  Immdietely asks where I live.  Normal circumstances would've had my hackles up and ready to lie but I knew why he was asking.  I told him just down the street on the big hill.  He says oh I brought back you doberman and I say oh, you're Bill.  He puts both the dogs away I can only remember the pit bulls name was Pogo, the basset may have been Pip.  After we've been talking awhile.  (he's lived there since he was a kid and knows a lot about my family, even back to when my grandpa owned the station) It was easy flowing conversation.  He had a demeanor that made me like him immediately.  Too bad he keeps trying to get my husband into his internet business or we might stop by there once and a while. 

Two days before that, I was getting ready to leave and Shawn had to move his car out of my way.  He comes walking up the driveway with a tiny puppy.  I exclaim we got a puppy!  He says No I found him.  I quickly scoop the dog up into my arms.  Definitely not a puppy, this one is getting up in his years.  Sweet but shaky, I take him to the only house I know that has small dogs, my next door neighbors.  Now at first I wasn't sure if she was going to open the door or not.  They have made it pretty clear from the beginning that they want nothing to do with us.  We live next door to eachother that does not make us neighborly. She eventually realizes the dogs aren't barking outside for no reason and opens the door.  Had a slightly puzzled look until she zeroed in on the dog.  The only words that were spoken was her: omigod  me:he just wandered on up to the house her: thanks and closes the door.  Hmmm, must have interrupted a load of laundry that just had to be finished right this minute. 

Like I said, it was a long weekend. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing while reading about the frog, I can relate!  I can't believe your neighbor..I guess she isn't trying to win any personality awards aye?  Well at least you took the high road for her dog.  I would have done the same thing with the two dogs, if I see someone trying to help an animal I will always stop and offer help.  It amazes me how many people will just drive by, I guess they think someone else will do it.  I'm glad you got them back home to Bill.  Sounds like you had a good weekend overall.
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/wwfbison/life-on-a-bison-farm