Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Setting it Straight

I'm sure there's very few of you out there that haven't heard that the UAW is on strike against General Motors.  My mother works at the H2 plant and my husband at the H1 plant.  These plants are NOT owned by GM but the people that work there are being directly effected by the strike.  The media had been told today that there was no immediate threat to H2 employees.  I set the record straight today.  I'm sick of them portraying themselves as a company that is always looking out for their employees.  They are only concerned with portraying themselves in a good light for the general public.  H2 employees were told TODAY that if the strike is still continuing as of Friday THIS week, they are not to return to work Monday or until further notice.  H1 employees were told TODAY that if the strike continues into mid October, they too would be facing immediate layoff.  Funny how AM General claims that no ones job is in immediate danger.  H2 employees were also told today that they may not be eligible for unemployment benefits due to the layoff being a direct cause of a UAW strike.  It's really frustrating to have my family in this circus and then read comments from people who only know what they hear in the media.  People who only believe what is said on the ten o'clock news.  They think by watching a half hour of news, that they know everything about a situation that they could know.  The media can only report what is confirmed.  They cannot report what is behind the scenes heresay.  It's upsetting to see people commenting on news cast websites about how the UAW is worthless and the people that work for them lazy.  They are talking about my mom and my husband.  That's a direct shot at me.  I think people should keep their comments to themselves till they've heard all the facts not just the ones that the corporate CEO's want you to hear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is always two sides to the story--and I tend to distrust corporations anyway!

Anonymous said...

The media only gives out what they consider attention getting facts. As Kas said there is always two sides to a story. Thanks for letting us know yours. I'm keeping your family in my prayers on the smoke, that somehow this works out in their favor. (Hugs) Indigo