Friday, November 19, 2004

Icky Kitty

Yesterday was a pretty nasty day.  The day before, I noticed that Scaredy, one of our cats and our only indoor/outdoor cat, had a large "bubble" on his left hind leg.  I knew by the cut nearby that it was a abcess and a very large one.  I tried expressing it myself, but got nothing but blood.  (I'm trying to be as ungraphic as possible here, bear with me) I called the rescue but everyone had went to bed for the night.  The next morning (yesterday) Nancy called me back first thing and I told her I had a problem.  She told me to come by around 4.  I loaded Scaredy into the cat carrier, which he normally hates but didn't protest on this occasion.  Now, he's been to the rescue before and had nasty things done to him so he KNOWS the smells there.  He didn't seem to want to come out of the carrier once he knew where he was.  We gave him a sedative and waited for it to take effect.  After about twenty minutes, we got everything ready.  I held him and Jennifer used a scaple to express the HUGE abcess that had been growing under his skin unseen.  It was awful.  Thankfully, I wasn't able to smell much due to the pregnancy.  We got two washcloths full of yucky stuff before it was finally cleaned out.  We bandaged him up and put him back in the carrier but left the wound open to drain.  He was a little drowzy till today due to the sedative.  Just a few minutes ago, I changed his bandage and the wound looks so much healthier than it did last night.  You can just tell how much relief that brought him.  He's purring so much louder today than he was yesterday.  He just seems like a much happier cat.  I was so mad at myself for not noticing it sooner but he's a LARGE tomcat and it's not easy to see things like that on him.  The only reason I noticed it was because there was some missing hair where the abcess had burst a little.  I'm so glad I did find it.  If I hadn't, it would've killed him.  He's now being spoiled rotten with tons of canned food.  Although, he thinks it's torture because he's locked in the nice warm bathroom, with a large eggcarton for your bed.  I think the only thing he really has to bitch about is the fact that he's getting amoxicillion every 12 hours or so. 

Me and my mom went to Wal-Mart today.  I got a pair of maternity kakis.  I figured they wouldn't fit for another month or so... wrong.  They're a little loose but they fit already.  Makes me want to go back to motherhood maternity and rub it in that sales lady's face.  She said I wouldn't be able to fit into a SMALL till I was seven months.  Well, guess what lady, I'm four months and they fit.  Hmph.  At least I know that I have something to wear at Christmas if I can't fit into my skirt.  It stretches but I don't know if that will make much of a difference in a month and a half.  Good lord, Christmas isn't that far off is it?  Oh yeah, that's something else we did today.  Me and Shawn got my mom some stuff for Christmas.  Can't tell what it is though because she gets on here and reads it.  Ha ha mom, no peaking for you!

No comments: