Sunday, November 7, 2004

Sweet Boy

I don't understand why these cats find me, even though there is nothing medically I can do for them.  Last night, me and Shawn went to our friends' house Paul and Debbie.  The boys went out to work on Paul's truck and I followed them out.  There was a cat under his truck and he said it had been there for a few days.  He said that the cat won't move unless you move him.  They had the truck on, revving it up and working on it and that cat never moved.  I gave him some water and some tuna and told Shawn that I was taking him home with us when we left.  As soon as he got in the car, he curled up in the backseat and never moved.  I got him home and the deal was that he'd stay in the barn.  Well, we quickly realized how sick this poor cat was, he was trying to vomit, severly dehydrated and starving.  He would growl in pain when you picked him up.  I told Shawn that there was no way I was letting this cat die in the cold barn, if he was to die, it would be in the house.  I cleaned up a large cage for him.  He's a beautiful cat, but he was also a very sick cat.  Shawn called the emergency clinic and they told us to call animal control.  All I wanted them to do was euthanize him and end his suffering.  There was no calling animal control anyways because it was midnight by then.  We made him as comfortable as possible and hoped that when we woke up, he would've died in his sleep.  The first thing I did was go to his cage.  He was still breathing.  His gums had went very pale over night and his breath was severly labored.  Throughout the night he had been eating and drinking, so I thought maybe there was a small bit of hope.  I called the rescue and asked their opinion on what I should do.  After talking it over, they asked that I bring him there.  I figured at the very least, Jenn could take a look and tell me that she too thought he should be euthanized.  Instead, he died on the way.  I knew it too.  He had been laboring quite badly and suddenly stopped.  I knew then that he had probably died but I didn't check until I got to the shelter.  I wish I could find the people that owned this cat and make them feel what he felt in the last moments of his life.  He was alone, scared and in so much pain.  He was one of the most beautiful cats I've ever seen.  I can only imagine how beautiful he would've been if he'd been healthy.  I'm just glad he's no longer suffering.  I just don't understand why.  Why he went to that truck and why I went to their house that night.  It's just frustrating when you've found this animal, sick and dying and there's not a damn thing you can do to help it.  Well, I'm going to bed now. 

No comments: