Monday, November 24, 2003

Animal Radar

I swear, sometimes I think I have kitty cat radar or something.  They always seem to find me some how or another.  DH went to the gas station this evening and on his way home, he called my cell phone.  He said that there was a tabby striped kitty living at the gas station and that he gave the lady that works at the gas station my cell phone number in case she needed to find a shelter for him.  *Sigh*  I was on my way out the door at that time to make a run to Walmart.  All the way there I kept feeling more and more guilty for not immediately running up to the gas station to take this little kitty.  You see, it's rather nice in Indiana right now and we haven't yet had any REALLY cold weather, so the animals don't have much of a winter coat on yet but by Thanksgiving it's supposed to get really cold out, snow and all that good stuff.  On the way back I told my mom that we were gonna make a stop at the gas station just so I could talk to the lady.  We get there and I told her I was worried about the upcoming freeze and she agreed and I told her I'd be more than happy to take him tonight and then take him to the shelter tomorrow.  She said that'd be great, except I don't know where he is right now and haven't seen him for a few hours.  No sooner does she say that than a customer pulls into the station.  As he walks up to the door, out of nowhere, here's this stray kitty.  The guy tries his hardest not to let the cat get in and just when he thinks he's home free, he sneaks in the door.  I grab him up before he can get five feet into the store.  I told the lady that she could call me if she wanted to know how he was doing and if he'd been adopted or not and then I was on my way.  Thankfully, the only thing that's not great about this cat is that he hasn't been neutered.  Well, that's easily fixable, literally.  He's actually a HUGE cat, you just can't tell from the pictures.   Now, I'm off to bed, I actually get to go into work tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have stories to tell tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice of you to help out animals! I do that too. I cannot bring them home though because the landlord wants a $250 pet deposit. So if they wander the streets homeless, I usually take them to the humane society.
I take care of ducks and geese that have a need too. It is winter and they live at these ponds and rely on people like me to feed them. I buy 50 pound bags of corn and could always use more!!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! We take in tons of geese and ducks that people took in as "pets" and then decided that they didn't want them anymore or just became afraid of them over time. We keep them as our permanent rescues because we can never tell who wants to love them and who wants to love to eat them!