Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Grandma tries to jumpstart labor

My doctor's appointment went good today.  We're still 1cm but thinned out almost completely now.  He was going to try to dialate me more until I quickly said no.  (it hurt like hell)  I asked how long they'll wait till they induce (thinking it would be two weeks after my due date) and apparently they only wait till one week after your due.  So no matter what happens, there will be a baby in approximately two weeks.  Shawn looked like he was going to vomit.  Men are funny.  These things aren't "real" to them till it's almost ready to happen.  He frequently looks like he's going to be ill now.  For months he's been saying he can't wait and now it's here and I think he could wait another month or so to get used to the idea.  He told me today that he'd rather I had a c-section.  I just don't think he likes the idea of seeing me in that much pain.  I told him that as long as I could avoid that, I would so he was out of luck and would just have to be a big boy.  Men could never have babies.  The human race would go extinct if we depended on them for labor and delivery.  We have another appointment in exactly a week as long as we don't go into labor before then.  I swear that's what my doctor was aiming for today.  (he's on call at the hospital tonight)

My grandma about gave me a heartattack last night.  She's usually in bed by around 7pm.  She called at 9pm.  I immediately thought there was something wrong with someone because there was no way she'd be awake that late, let alone call us that late.  I asked her why she was up so late and she was very slow about telling me.  It went something like this;  Well  *long pause* Your grandpa *long pause* he fell a few days ago *another long pause* and we just got back from the doctor's office *pause* they took some xrays *pause* and he broke his collar bone.  Whooooooosh.  That was the air being let out of my lungs from holding my breath.  I felt sick to my stomach for two hours after that.  I thought for sure she was going to say someone died or that my grandpa's cancer was back and that was what they found on the xray.  He's a stubborn old man.  He fell days ago and didn't go have it xrayed till last night. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have been scared, too....I think it hurts when they strip your membranes.

Anonymous said...

I would have been scared, too....I think it hurts when they strip your membranes.

Anonymous said...

It's terrible, but I found myself laughing out loud while reading your grandma's pauses as she talked!  Too funny!  Gosh, you are going to drag this baby right to the minute aren't you!  Hang in there kiddo!  Lisa