Sunday, August 22, 2004

Sorry I haven't written since last Tuesday.  It's not been the best week for me.  On Thursday I came home and Shawn told me that while I was at work, my dog had killed my little Ellie, the senegal parrot.  I was on my lunch break and called work to see if it was ok if I called off for the rest of the day.  Of course I got into a small bit of trouble the next day but there was no way I could go back to work after that.  I spent most of Saturday balling my eyes out over my little bird.  I still feel like I'm in shock.  I keep expecting to whistle and hear her across the house calling back to me.  She was in a temporary cage while we painted my bedroom.  Normally she would've been in a large cage that there's almost no way that the dog could've gotten into but instead, to keep her from the fumes, she was in my mom's room in a smaller cage that wasn't very stable.  My dogs had never even paid the least bit of attention to her so I wasn't worried about it her safety too much.  I was more worried about the cats getting to her. 

Work is going well so far.  I enjoy most of the people I work with.  As with most places, there are a few select that I don't really care for, none of them being the other assistants.  Tomorrow, I'll be there by myself in the morning.  I'm still stuck in the ward for most of the rest of this week.  I can't wait till I'm in outpatient.  The ward is very boring and you're alone most of the day.  Everyday when I finish in ward, I'm allowed to follow the other assistants around in outpatient so I can get an idea of what I'll be doing soon.  This week I'll be taking some tests that I have yet to study for.  I'll have to take all my paperwork with me tomorrow and read it during lunch.  I get a two and a half hour lunch everyday while I'm in ward, since I have to come in so much earlier than most everyone else.  We had to put one dog to sleep this week due to liver failure.  I wasn't involved with that.  We've had a few odd cases.  One cat who appears paralized in one of his rear legs but there doesn't seem to be any evidence yet as to why he's having that problem.  Another dog is having seizures and continues to shake much longer than she should after the seizures have ended.  I almost passed out on Wednesday.  I saw my first cathedre.  I was holding a cat while they took his temp and he was in so much pain from the cath that I ended up with my head in between my legs and pretty much stayed that way for the next hour.  The gross stuff is getting a little easier for me to handle.  I'm just taking it day by day.  Well, I've gotta get up early for work so I'd better call it a night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this goes for all of your entries: I love them!! I think you did great describing each day, and I wish I could be you bcuz I wanna be a vet when i grow up!! Keep writing and I'll keep reading!!( this would make an excellent book) by the way i found this awsome site it's www.animalrescuesite.com  go there!!

Anonymous said...

I've been out of town for the past eleven days...it will take me a few days to get caught up on all your past entries. I did think of you when I was in Florida. We visited a bird rehabber and also a marine mammal rehab hospital.  Animal lovers are the same everywhere. :-)