Saturday, July 19, 2008

Neighbors

We came home tonight from having dinner at my mom's house and both my husband and I noticed that things seemed amiss at our elderly neighbors house.  They are near their 90's and their adult daughter lives with them.  (I assume to keep them from a nursing home and make sure they're taken care of)  Some of you may remember I spent a few hours with the wife, Joan early in the spring, working on her yard.  They never leave their garage door open at night, or the garage light on and both were.  It was strange enough that even my husband noticed.  At the time I thought maybe I should walk over and check on them but it was midnight by that time.  What if it was just something that went forgotten and some strange girl knocks on their door in the middle of the night?  I decided to leave it be but keep an eye on the house overnight.  At about 2am, I got up to get some water and noticed strange lights in the window.  There was an ambulance in front of their house and one backing into the driveway.  I stood and watched them bring out a stretcher.  I'm not sure how it works when you pick someone up but I don't think they cover you with a sheet unless you ask for one, or it's cold.  The person they brought out was at least partially covered.  (I could only see the legs)  I went to tell my husband and while he was watching out the window, they brought out a second stretcher.  We know the daughter is ok as she was outside with one of the EMT's but didn't appear to be distraught.  I just hope it was something minor and not the mostly likely reason for the ambulances to be out there.  They also didn't seem to be in a hurry, even after both stretchers were loaded.  I wish there was something I could do.  A part of me hopes that if tonight was their night, that they indeed went together.  They lost a son to a car accident when he was in his teens, I hate to think that either one of them would have to suffer in that way again.  I told my husband, you know they were nice people when their nephew flew in from New York to replace a light bulb in the backyard.  (He was coming to visit but the reason he made the trip was for that light)  I hope whatever may have happened that they are together and not in any pain.

No comments: