Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The this and the That of it

I have a little of this and a little of that for this entry.  We'll start with more pleasant things and move on.  On Monday, we headed to Indy to the zoo down there.  It was hot.  Pregnant and hot, don't really mix too well.  I had to sit down frequently.  I had remembered the zoo to be huge so we got there hours early.  It's not huge.  We were scheduled to see the dolphin show at 4:30... we were pretty much done seeing the entire zoo by 2.  We took the train a second time, sat in the dolphin dome for a while, walked aimlessly, ate ice cream and then got to the dolphin show an hour early, hoping they'd open the doors.  We sat inside waiting for it to start for over a half hour.  In that time, Jasmine fell asleep.  I really didn't think she'd wake back up for the show but she did, and promptly fell back to sleep in the car.  We touched sharks, Jas really enjoyed that and didn't want to leave them.  We had an invite to my aunt and uncle's at their house a few miles out of Indy so we headed there after the zoo.  Honestly, I enjoyed the few hours we were at their house, way more than the entire zoo trip.  I think Jasmine may have as well.  My cousin took her on the trampoline and watched a movie with her, which was a big hit.  My husband and I got to spend time just talking with my aunt and uncle.  Conversation with them always flows easily, no matter how long it's been since the last time we've seen them. 

Onto things that currently annoy me.  I'm really getting fed up with a friend of my husband's.  This couple, particularly the wife, complain about being broke constantly.  If they were really broke, I would understand, being broke sucks and misery loves company.  However, they are far from it.  When you have over ten grand just sitting in your savings, you are not broke.  The funny thing is, the wife has no idea that we know the amount of money in their accounts, the amount of all their bills, etc.  The husband tells my husband every single detail of their lives, therefore, we know they're not broke.  It's just really aggravating, knowing we are struggling and then hearing someone else complain about money.  It's even more aggravating when my husband is doing them a favor and we use most of our gas driving around doing this favor.  I'm not as nice as my husband.  He gets used a bit because he wants to do nice things for his friends and help them out.  Whereas I'm the one saying why are we breaking our backs for someone who wouldn't do the same for us?  I have no problem helping out a friend but I want to help the people that I know would do the same for me if the situation was reversed.  That doesn't mean I expect something from them if we help them but it's nice to know that if I needed it, I wouldn't really even have to ask, they'd be there.  I think as I get older, I'm getting harder to please.  I expect people to be... better than they turn out to be sometimes.  I guess I expect their morals and values to be a little higher than they are.  Most of the time, they'd rather get something for nothing and then complain when something is expected of them, even if it's a meaningful thank you.  And I'm speaking of the human race in general here, not one individual.  The only people I count on, are myself and family.  Anyone else, I have a jaded opinion of before they even earn it.  I have really only one set of friends that I know I can count on if I needed them and they're more my mom's friends than mine.  But at least I know they are other people out there that feel my same right and wrong.  Like I said, I think I'm becoming a hard person to deal with the older I get.  By the time I turn 60, you will all have to be saints in order to have my approval for friendship.  ;)~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you could have taken some picture of yalls trip. I would have loved to see them. :) I am on the same page as you when it comes to people outside of my little tiny family circle. Funny you should say what you do here, cause Mama and I just had a discussion about that yesterday on the phone. We tend to be too nice to people and then we get wrapped up in THEIR lives and have to figure out how to back out of it and keep them at arms length. As I get older I am learning that all you really have time for is family, and thats okay. :) Kelly

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had to tell my son that I was broke, and I am literally.  I have $349 in my checking acct and a $349 check still out there...  I told him I am going to need some of his paycheck to help us out..

Anonymous said...

Just call me Saint Lisa or would that be Saintess...not sure :)
xxx