Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bath time

The other day when I had my OB appointment, I mentioned the great difficulty I've been having sleeping and he prescribed me some Ambien, stating that it is the safest prescription sleepaid they are aware of at this time.  I never take anything without looking it up first, even if I'm not pregnant.  What I found was not reassuring.  The rat tests on this drug have shown to have bone structure problems in the babies.  I don't know that I want to take it now to be honest.  I will get it filled but I think I'll only take it if absolutely necessary.  I also read that it is extremely addictive and extremely hard to come off of.  (on message boards people complained of night terrors and being up for days without sleep after going off Ambien)  I've always been nervous of taking Ambien so anytime a doctor has suggested it to me, I tell them no but in this case it was Ambien or nothing.  I looked up Lunesta, which I was on before I got pregnant and it appears to be safer based on what I've read.  (although I'm positive that the doctors have a larger library of information than I have)  The worst problems in the Lunesta after the beginning of pregnancy in rats was low birth weight.  I would take low birth weight over major structural problems in the bones personally.  I think I'll just take it if I have absolutely no other options and have to be up early.  Although I may take half of one this weekend while my husband is home so I know how I respond to them.  (that way if they totally mess me up, my husband is here to take care of Jasmine)  Also, I made my appointment for the ultrasound which is September 15th.  And everything was normal at my appointment. 

I thought I should mention that we named Sweety that because she was NOT a nice kitten.  She was semi-feral and would fly off the walls to avoid being touched by a person.  Obviously she grew out of that.  I couldn't very well name her bitchy.  My neighbors might have thought I was a bit (more) on the odd side if I stood outside calling here bitchy bitchy bitchy.  ;)  She turned out to be a very sweet cat after a while though. 

Jasmine is pretty much completely potty trained during the day!  And I even think she's slowly weaning herself from her binkie.  All it took was me telling her she couldn't have it when we went places, only in the car and in the house.  Now she only asks for it when it's bedtime and occasionally (usually when I happen to forget it) in the car.  She has been so easy when it comes to teaching her things.  She went off the bottle easily enough and potty training took no time at all, with only about three accidents.  I just know the next one is going to be a pain when it comes to potty training and all those other nightmares.  You don't get it easy twice in a row!  ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the sleep meds.  I've never tried anything beyond OTC stuff like Tylenol PM.  

Anonymous said...

I've taken Ambien myself. It didn't have the addictive effect on me. I do understand your concern being pregnant. I think your dr. would be more careful than the norm with what he subscribes to you for that reason. Your in my thoughts dear friend! (Hugs)Indigo