Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A beauty of a day

Life with Kasey is definitey different than what I'm used to.  Even Doodle was a little on the hyper side.  Kasey is laid back.  He will play with us or the other dogs but isn't all play all the time.  Mostly he's content to sleep next to us while we do whatever it is that humans do.  I've been extra rough while petting him and playing.  I'm trying to get him over being nippy when his back is messed with a little too much.  This is also the first foster I've had to watch around Jasmine.  In just 24 hours she has gotten a lot better around him and doesn't run up to him like she did yesterday and seems to realize she needs to be a little nicer to him than the others.  I bought him a small tennis ball today.  I noticed when I had him at my mom's that he loves to play ball but every toy I had here was made for big dogs.  He'll chase the ball as many times as you're willing to throw it.  He did great overnight and didn't have an accident.  At night my dogs tend to go longer than others without a potty break.  It was a problem with Zoey, as she just didn't seem to be able to make it that long but Kasey seems fine with it.  He doesn't like it when I leave and will jump on the back of the couch like a cat to look out the largepicture window to watch me go.  When we get back he dances on his back feet.  He's a cute little dog and I'm still surprised at how long we've had him.  (about four months)  Usually the little ones go fast.  We need to get some dogs adopted out quickly as the local shelter is full and the waiting list has started for euthanizing.  We took in two more than we planned on this weekend and I'm sure they'll be doing more of the same by next week.  The woman at the shelter is in a panic over how many dogs they have.  They don't want to euthanize anymore than a no-kill shelter would want to but they don't have a choice in the matter.  They have no choice but to take in the strays and throw aways.  Eventually, room has to be made. 

Today was an absolutely perfect day as far as weather goes.  I would love it if summer felt like today did.  It wasn't too hot out but wasn't chilly either.  Jasmine was in her shorts and never needed a sweater.  It was just a really nice day.  Tomorrow we're going to try and make it to the zoo.  Well, we may have to go whether I feel like it or not because Jasmine KNOWS that I was planning on going tomorrow.  (I spelled Z-o-o to my mom and Jasmine exclaimed We're going to the zoo tomorrow!)  They're talking possible showers in the morning so we should be ok. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is heartbreaking that a humane society has to kill any animals. I have friends who refuse to spay or neuter their dogs and cats and then they keep having puppies and kittens and can not afford to feed them and they waste their money instead of getting a discounted ticket to fix the animal in the first place.
lisa

Anonymous said...

I truly hope I live to see the day when the shelters are not overflowing and there will be no kill shelters everywhere.  Until people become responsible pet owners and spay & neuter my wishes have no chance.  Kasey sounds like a sweetie, even if he is a little bit nippy.  I'm sure you will get him over this.
xx
Lisa