Sunday, April 6, 2008

Brooks who?

A few years ago, you could've asked me who Mel Brooks was and I would've said, wasn't he that guy in What women want?  It wasn't until my husband's best friend came up for a visit, that I learned what I'd been missing.  I think Mel Brooks was far ahead of his time in comedy with his major films.  The first I saw was The History of the World Part 1.  It was late and I was playing a computer game while my husband's friend, Paul, flipped through the channels.  Shawn had long went to bed and we were lagging behind, knowing that he would be leaving soon.  I think all three of us would've stayed awake the entire time he was here if it had been possible.  We don't get to see eachother often as he lives in Kentucky.  At any rate, he eventually settled on what at the time I thought was some stupid old movie.  Eventually, I had to start paying attention.  After that movie, I was hooked on Mel Brooks, particularly any film he produced.  I don't get into "guy" comedies.  Most of the time I roll my eyes and wonder how my husband can laugh at something that only a 12 year old boy should think is funny.  Somehow, Mel Brooks appeals to me.  I feel like his movies are immaturely funny but he put some serious thought into what was going on in the world at that time and how to turn it around to make it into something funny, instead of a tragedy.  I guess I'm into black comedy, as well as tongue in cheek.  Who knew.  Any way, if you've never seen a Mel Brooks film, give him a chance and you may be as pleasantly suprised as I was that a classic can sometimes be worth more than an up and coming blockbuster.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
I agree ... actually, Mel Books lives just down the street from me (when he's in town).  I've never met him but I see him a lot either driving around (in a Bentley) or at the beach.
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

I loved History of the World, I howl everytime I see it.  Mel Brooks is an amazing talent and most of his films are terrific.
xx
Lisa