Friday, April 4, 2008

Rodeo odeo oh

Rodeo is doing fantastic.  At least when it comes to his attitude.  He's definitely getting a little cabin fever.  I'm under strict advise not to allow him to play or anything until it's been at least 14 days since the surgery, today was only 7.  One of his staples came out of his inner thigh today.  I knew that vet placed them wrong.  It was the one spot that I've been complaining about since he had the surgery.  The inner thigh has been very slow to heal.  You can't even tell yet if the skin is starting to heal back together, whereas on the top it's obvious.  He still has significant bruising on the inner thigh as well as one of his testicles.  Yes, one of those got caught up in the incident as well, just bruising.  Rocky seems to not even realize it happened.  It's hard for me to not just think it was a one time incident.  If you had met Rocky, he's such a happy, good dog and it's hard to believe that he'd be capable of that damage.  There's still a slight possibility that it was Cash, my doberman but I sincerely doubt it.  When Cash attacks one of the other dogs, it's usually only slobber and noise, at worst a puncture mark.  He has never even attempted the kind of damage that was done to Rodeo.  I talked to my director tonight.  She has Zoey till tomorrow.  Zoey is getting spayed and there's no way I could drop her off by 8am, so my director is doing it for me.  She has been extremely supportive of my decisions with Rocky.  She has even offered to contact rescues on my behalf and off a trade of sorts.  Some rescues are so full that they cannot take another dog but if a bully breed rescue some how ends up with a non bully breed, we can offer a trade and they can take Rocky and we can take their non bully breed.  (we don't make it a point to take in bully breeds for just the fact that they are bull headed and strong)  I want a rescue to take him that is experienced with pit bull dog aggression and WON'T euthanize him.  He just needs to be in a home with no other animals.  He's not going to search out dogs to attack so he'd be fine in a home alone.  It's still so hard for me to believe.  I was outside playing with him today and wondering how such a sweet dog could turn so easily.  My husband wants his best friend to take him but in order for that to happen we would have to taketheir Italian Greyhound.  I cannot stand that dog.  He's constantly in your face AND he marks.  If there's one thing I cannot deal with, is a dog purposefully peeing in my house.  The whole situation has been frustrating.  It was nice to know that I have support from the rescue.  I was worried I would get judged on having Rocky in the first place, let alone him attacking one of our dogs, so it was nice to hear that I wasn't alone in my plight.

I go to pick Zoey up tomorrow afternoon.  I have no idea how I will keep that dog calm.  When a dog has been spayed, it's a fairly major surgery and they need to be calm for at least 5-7 days.  This dog is pure energy.  I will have to crate her constantly the first few days.  I know it sounds mean but otherwise she will literally be running through my house looking for cats. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just came across your journal and i think its great what you do. I love animals and love watching those animal cops show on the animal planet, I cry everytime.. Im looking foward to reading your journals.

Anonymous said...

My puppy stayed calm for maybe one day after her surgery, then she was back to being a terror.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Best of luck trying to keep their activity level down!  Bongo was impossible to keep calm 48 hours after stomach surgery.  They don't listen to reason, do they?

Russ

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Glad to hear Rodeo is doing so much better.  I'm sure it's frustrating having this bit of doubt, but it does sound like it must have been Rocky.
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

I am really happy to hear Rodeo is coming along well.  I hope something can be worked out for Rocky as well.  Good luck trying to keep Zoey calm!!!  I hope it goes smoothly for you.
xx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Well I missed something somewhere along the line. So Rodeo was mauled by Rocky? Sorry to here you had to deal with that hon. Glad to hear Rodeo is doing better now. (Hugs) Indigo