Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stiffed

Looking at my finger, the wound appears to be healing very well.  The soft tissue that was protruding has since, let's just say died and went away for those who are squeamish.  However, it is still very tender.  I do not yet have full range of motion.  It will not bend completely, but I can straighten it out.  It also feels very stiff, as if the scar tissue that is forming is a little too tight.  If I press on the back of the bite, I can feel pain all the way to the bone.  (literally)  I'm still in awe of the amount of force that such a small animal can exude.  I'll be sitting here at night trying to think of how much pressure you actually have to have to penetrate the skin and then how much pressure would be needed to penetrate all the way through to the other side of a finger.  It's just crazy what those little jaws are capable of and I don't think he was even REALLY trying.  It wasn't as if his life was at stake.  He was just trying to make a point to what he thought was another rat.  This is my space and you're not allowed.  I'm still very nervous with him and have to do my best not to jerk my hand back when he goes to sniff me.  I'm sure there will be a physical reminder for a while.

We adopted out quite a few puppies today and one adult dog.  I'm not sure about the cats even though I spent some time back there.  (we were short handed and I felt guilty that one girl had to deal with all the cats and people)  I actually don't know if we had any cat adoptions.  Kasey had one person really interested in him but it would've been a no on the application.  Kasey is a small dog so older people think he would be great for them and he seems low energy at first but he does need to run and play.  We would prefer he goes to a home with another dog and he will only go to a home with a fenced yard.  I finalized Princess' adoption today.  That dog looks gorgeous.  I wish I'd had my camera so I could've shown everyone.  Her coat is so much shinier than it was when I had her.  (they managed to give her a bath)  She's also put on about ten pounds.  She's not fat but she's on the chunky side now.  She looks healthy though and it's obviousthat she has been getting some training.  There was no way when I had her that she would sit on command in a public place and she does so with ease now.  She was also looking very lovingly at her new owners.  It was the look of a teenager in her first real relationship.  She would just look up at them like I love you guys.  I told them again how happy I was that they decided to work it out with her and they said they haven't had any problems since that day and that they are glad they made the effort as well.  I think they'll have many good years with her and I have no doubt that she has a great home now, especially after seeing her.  I really wish I'd taken my camera because the difference was just undeniable. 

Next week or the week after I should start with cats and kittens.  We'll be getting two separate litters around that time and I'll be taking one of them.  Shelter kittens come with a lot of issues.  If the mother cat was given shots while pregnant (it's very rare that a female cat will go into the shelter and NOT be given a shot) it causes problems with the unborn kittens.  We've had a few litters that just didn't make it for just that reason.  One of the girls that volunteers bottle feeds kittens.  Where she works, they allow her to bring the cats so she can feed them every two hours.  She must be dedicated as hell because that is a LOT of work.  You're entire life is put on hold while you have those cats.  She can never be away from them for more than two hours because they need to be fed.  I couldn't do it.  I'm not much of a couch potato and always need to be out doing something.  Besides that, it's very difficult to keep them alive, even when you really know what you're doing.  It has to be hard to lose kittens over and over that were literally dependent on you for their survival.  You would always wonder if there was something you could've done.  At least I know I would. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your finger is healing up.  I know how you feel about pain.  I've been bit by a rat before.  I'm glad Princess is adjusted well into her new home.  Wish you luck with the cats and I hope the kittens will be ok.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I would be heartbroken time after time trying to take care of newborns, which is why I don't do it unless I must.  Happy your finger is healing nicely and really happy to hear how well Princess is doing.  YAY...a happy ending!!!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Good to hear your finger is healing up nicely. It was good to know there was  a happy ending for Princess. You do so much good for all those animals. You have a big heart. :) Hugs, Kelly