Sunday, April 18, 2004

Another Long Day

I am so drained. I just want this week to end already. Keifer died today. Casey is still hanging in there. Keifer's sister has also come down with parvo and is currently at the shelter. His other sister is here for the time. I'm calling her Jane. There's a song called "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction that reminds me of her for some reason. This puppy is a little nut. She runs around constantly. I had brought her sister home too but soon realized that she too was sick. Before I left the shelter, I checked on the pregnant cat that we have. She started having contractions almost as soon as I touched her. A long day was becoming even longer. We took her into another room where it was quieter. After about a half hour of contractions, she had her first kitten. Only problem, mama cat has an upper respiratory infection and decided the only part of being a mom she was going to do was give birth. She left the sack on the kitten and everything. I took the sack off and Jenn began rubbing her to get her breathing again. Very quickly, another kitten was born. Again, mama did nothing at all. We took the sack off and rubbed till breathing. I stayed for a while longer. Eventually though, I had to go home and eat. When I came back to bring back the pup, I checked on mama, only to find she had had another kitten and had once again done nothing. We knew the kitten had just been born because minutes ago, they had checked to make sure there weren't anymore. We rubbed and rubbed but sadly, the kitten never got to take it's first breath. I just want to take a bath, relax and go to sleep. That won't happen though. I have a puppy to watch and I know I just won't be able to sleep. Tonight will be one opf those nights that I cry and eventually wake up and realize that at some point and time I fell asleep. I'll take a muscle relaxer and maybe that will help. Poor Jenn, she's stuck. She can't go to sleep because she has two puppies that need IV fluids and a cat that doesn't know what being a mother is all about. We still don't know if that was the last kitten to be born or not. It's sometimes hard to tell with cats. I'm going to watch a movie and laugh at a puppy.

No comments: