Friday, April 16, 2004

Keifer and Casey

It's been a very long day, both emotionally and physically. We lost a puppy the other day to parvo. We hoped that would be the only one that got sick. Today I went up to the shelter with my mom to visit the horses. I wanted to show her this beautiful paint we have. I got there and found out one of our rotti mixes was acting sick. After visiting the horses, we went to visit all the puppies. Keifer was acting a little sluggish and I got worried and brought him inside. Keifer is my favorite dog there and is the only adoptable dog that I've ever become attached to. Eventually, we get the puppies to a vet that was willing to take them. He told us it was definitely parvo and he wanted to put all our puppies down, even though only two were showing signs of the disease. I said, no and left. I get back to the shelter and now we have two puppies who are literally dying in front of us and no drugs to treat them for it. I spent a lot of today and crying and trying not to cry. We made many calls to many vets and it seemed no one was willing to help us. Eventually, we called the emergency vet clinic and they told us to bring one puppy up and they'd give us enough drugs to treat both of them. The vet that was on duty was absolutely wonderful. She was so sweet and compassionate. She completely cut us a deal on the bill and drugs. I took the puppy back to the shelter and they've started IV fluids and antibotics. There's still no way of saying whether or not they'll even make it. Right now, Keifer has all bloody stool, is still vomiting and just isn't doing all that great all around. Casey, on the other hand, is appearing to do quite well and is currently sleeping. If Keifer lives, I'm determined to adopt him. I feel extremely bonded to this little pup. I've actually been advised by my mom to take a muscle relaxant to fall asleep tonight. She is usually against me taking anything for sleep but I guess she sees what a long day it was for both of us. I'll keep you updated. I really hope to have good news.

No comments: