Thursday, May 1, 2008

Matted

Monday night Kasey started limping.  Not the barely putting weight on it limping but the I'm not touching the ground ever again with that paw limping.  I'm honestly not sure what happened.  My theory is he either jumped off the couch wrong at some point and time or when he was going outside, someone ran him over and he landed wrong.  (my dogs make a bee line for the yard the second the door opens and poor Kasey is always at the bottom of the barrel)  He has an approved application so he should be going home this weekend.  We were patiently hoping his foot would get better but seeing as how there has been no improvement, he may get a vet visit Friday morning.  I'm handing him over to my director in case that is needed.  At the same time I will be getting my next and fifth foster, Matthew.  He was returned to us by another shelter.  I'm still not sure how he ended up at their shelter as they do not take dogs off the street, you have to be on a waiting list.  All I know is that he was horribly matted when we got him back.  The girls at the other shelter did their best to get the worst of the mats shaved off but I will work on the rest tomorrow and through the weekend.  He's a small poodle mix but looks like a dachshund right now due to his shaved status.  I can't believe I'm already on my fifth dog.  I bought some stuff today to start a scrape book of all my fosters.  I have never even attempted scrap booking so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

I will be going back to the doctor again tomorrow for my finger.  I'm just too uncomfortable with the nerve pain I'm having to watch and wait.  It feels like when you hit your funny bone when I knock my finger into something.  Occasionally, I also get what feels like the mother of all static electricity shocks in that area when I haven't touched anything.  I'm sure he will inflict as much pain and discomfort as is humanely possible while I'm there. 

This is Matthew as he is now.  Some mats go to the skin.  I have my work cut out for me.

This is him a year ago, the last time we saw him. 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Kasey's foot starts feeling better and your finger.  That Matt looks like a cutie once he is shaved!  Linda

Anonymous said...

What a happy little boy in the older picture, I Hope that big "smile" comes back soon.  He has stolen my heart....so adorable, oh how I wish I could take in another (permanent) dog.  Kasey sounds like how Coco has been with her torn ligaments in her knee.  She isn't recovering well since she just won't stop moving.  I thought about a crate but she flipped the whole thing over once and rolled it across the floor...the girl is a nut!
Too bad about your finger ~ I hope the doctor can help you out and doesn't cause you more aggrevation than you already have.
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Matt looks like a cutey. I can't believe someone would allow thier dog to end up that bad. I don't think people realize how bad the matts actually hurt pulling on their skin. Hope they can find something to help with the pain in your finger, that's been going on for awhile now...(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

We had a poodle mix when I was a kid and she got the worst matts.  That curly hair and outdoor life do not mix.

Russ