Thursday, January 15, 2004

Ever searching

A few months back, my mom adopted a pigeon from our rescue.  Now we're concerned that he may need a mate in order to be happy.  I never really took an interest into where this bird came from.  He was found in the wild but was banded.  My feelings were, if his previous owner didn't care enough to keep him safe then why should I look for him in the first place.  Now though, I need to know what kind of pigeon he is so I can find him a "friend."  Cats and dogs are really so much easier than birds.  I can look at a dog or cat and tell you immediately what breed it is or what kind of "mutt" it may be.  A pigeon on the other hand looks just like any other pigeon to me.  Wish me luck.

Sometimes, I really don't know if I'm cut out to be in animal rescue.  I love what I do.  I love the animals but I think it's the politics of the whole thing that I have a problem with.  I watch all these animal shows on the animal planet and it seems like some of these rescues immediately turn to "humanely euthanizing" anything that so much as has a cold when it comes into them.  I have a real problem with that.  I strongely believe that every living animal has the right to a fair chance.  I do not believe that I should try any harder to save the 1 year old dog than the 10 year old.  I hate these "kill" shelters.  I will never ever work at a kill shelter.  You couldn't pay me enough.  To me there's not enough money in the world to pay me to literally murder an animal that would otherwise be completely healthy had we not supposedly "saved" it from where ever it was before hand.  Our shelter gets more animals in that were going to be killed from one of these so called shelters than from people relinquishing their animal.  What does that tell you?  I think I'm just having a bad day.  I need some major animal rescue therapy. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I want to wish you good luck on finding your pigeon a mate. But, also... you are a true animal saver!!

You care about your animals. That's what counts.






Jeri (P.S. check out my journal sometime.)

Anonymous said...

Thx Jeri! It's always nice when someone says something nice about us rescuer's!!