Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Just Thinking

I received an email today from one of my rescue groups.  There's a man who is calling himself a reverend.  He told one of the people on our group, who happens to support the ban against slaughtering horses in the US for human consumption, that she was going to hell because this bill is depriving people in third world countries of food and depriving US ranchers of money.  Um, tough.  Damned idiots. 

We got a cat into the rescue shortly before we were told we needed to get "rid" of all our animals.  I'm a relatively up to date cat owner but this one puzzled me and now I'm a little pissed at myself.  I don't know all the details yet.  I looked the cat over and knew he was in a lot of pain and he didn't want to walk.  His neck was swollen but I couldn't find anything outwardly physical wrong with the cat so I assumed nerve damaged or possible brain damage.  The cat was taken to the vet after I saw him.  He had punctures on both sides of his neck (I'm soooooo mad at myself for not seeing those marks) and he was frost bitten on his legs, feet and tail.  He was dehydrated and emanciated, both of which were obvious, even to the untrained eye.  I constantly need to remind myself that I'm not a mircle worker, I'm not a vet and that I'm not perfect.  I just so desperately would like to be all of those things.  I would love to have the resources to save all the homeless needy animals out there but I can't and for me that's the hardest thing possible for me to deal with.  Animal rescue is definitely not for everyone and not for the faint of heart.  You have to have balls of steal to do this job day in and day out.  Sometimes I'm not sure that I do.

No comments: