Friday, October 19, 2007

Just Another Day

We went to get some movies tonight.  I'm putting myself through yet another grindhouse flick.  I didn't do it on purpose actually.  I was talking to my husband about it and the guy at the counter thought I was somehow asking for it.  So here I am watching it.  It seems alright for a zombie/slasher flick.  I really didn't care for deathproof as you're all well aware of.  Rose Mcgowan kinda sucks as an actress and she's in both of them so that's a bite of a downer.  I think this movie would've been better if they had chosen someone else to do the film, although I don't see many "good" actresses willing to play the part of a goo-goo dancing stand up comedian who loses her leg to zombie's.  Just saying.  It's not over yet so don't count this as a good one yet.  We also got 28 weeks later.  Didn't like 28 Days later but I heard the sequel is much better.  Rented Next with Nicolas Cage and Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler.  Reviews will follow after I have time to watch it.  I wanted the new Angelina Jolie movie but it was gone, maybe next time.  Oh and before I forget, this movie is called Planet Terror and it's really gory, not for the faint of heart.

I'm still not feeling well today.  I was sick of being the house so I told Shawn I wanted to go to the mall and get my usual Friday coffee from Gloria Jeans.  It was rush hour traffic on the weekend of a Notre Dame game.  (we live minutes from the campus... which SUCKS and game season is always ridiculous) Suddenly Shawn starts to slow down and says 'oh no'... there's a german shepherd mix running across Cleveland Road traffic.  I don't know how the dog made it from one side of the road to the other AND back without getting hit.  I, was apparently (I don't really recall) saying stop stop stop.  I believe I was talking to the dog but Shawn thought I was telling him.  (I guess I was talking to BOTH of them) The dog started to run in front of our car, so Shawn honked at her in hopes that she'd run back to the curb.  Thankfully, something in her brain told her to go back because if she hadn't, she'd be dead.  A car was crossing just when she would've been going into the other lane and it was speeding.  I jumped out of the car (still moving) and whistled to her and said come here puppy.  I really thought she'd run the other way but she laid on the ground and belly crawled into the car.  My legs were just getting in the car when Shawn had to start moving again or we would've been hit by a car that didn't seem to realize that hazard lights mean there's a problem and we're probably not moving fast or at all.  Her eyes were crystal clear blue.  I've seen a lot of blue eyed dogs but her's were the prettiest.  They were like the beaches in Jamaica clear blue.  She appeared to be a husky/shepherd mix.  She was clean, with a collar, tags and microchip.  While in the car it was near impossible to get a number off the tags.  She was moving around quite a bit and my adreneline was pumping so I was shaking.  Once we got to the mall, I got a better look at the tags and Shawn called the first number.  (we also found out her name is Skyy) No answer.  Shit, I really don't want to drop this dog at the Humane Society but I really don't want to haul her around with me for the weekend either.  Try the other number.  Someone answers.  Shawn asks her if she has a dog named Skyy.  She says yes and he tells her she is with us and almost got hit on the busy road.  (REALLY almost got hit) The girl says she has no idea how the dog got out as she was in the house when she left for work.  Eventually she says she'll meet us at the mall.  We enjoyed the next 15 minutes with Skyy.  I wish I'd had my camera, I would've loved to have pictures to show everyone.  She was probably only a year or so as she was still mouthy and playful and strange noises still made her ears perk and head turn.  Eventually her owners arrived.  She was happy to see them.  They were very grateful to have her back safely.  And go figure, my husband works with the mom.  When I told them the dog jumped right into my car they were extremely surprised.  Turns out they adopted her from a place around here and she had been thrown out of a moving car and ever since she's been terrified of cars.  You would've never known it today.  I honestly believe that had we not been there, she wouldn't have ever made it back home.  Lots of cars stopped to avoid hitting her but no one attempted to rescue her.  We can't imagine NOT stopping.  The thought of what would've happened to her would've haunted us for days.  Some people  might say we're stupid, she's "just" adog.  But for that family she wasn't just an animal, she was obviously part of their family.  Yes, the car could've been wrecked, we have full coverage, we can replace the car.  Oh, and she got out when the brother came home to use the restroom and let her out, not knowing there was a place where she was able to get out.  These things just seem to happen in front of us all the time.  Why is it we're the only people around that seem to have a sense of humanity? 

To make the day even weirder, on my husband's way home from work he saw a woman running from a car and as he said she was freaking out, crying, screaming, the whole deal.  There was a man chasing her and he was trying to pick her up to take her back to the car.  Do you think ANYONE stopped to help this woman?  They all just drove past.  Shawn called 911 and was attempting to make a U-Turn when a police officier pulled up and took care of it.  The 911 operator said that had several calls about the situation and that someone was on their way.  Even though my husband was worried that the guy may have had a gun or something, he was still going to stop and help her because he would want someone to stop if it were me instead of her.  We don't know what happened but I'm assuming it was just a domestic thing.  Girlfriend/boyfriend get into fight.  At least we know an officer stopped to help her.  What a day. 

Movie just ended, it was ok.  A rent if you like zombie movies but I wouldn't buy it. 


Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you don't believe in heaven but you both earned your spot there today. :-)  What wonderful stories!

Anonymous said...

You guys did more good today than most people do in a year!  I'm so happy Skyy had a happy ending.
Lisa