Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pearl

A Mighty Heart is gut wrenching.  Knowing ahead of time that there is no hope for the life of Daniel Pearl, no hope for Mariane's child to know his father makes my stomach turn throughout the movie.  The moment she is told he has been killed, you know she never gave up hope, she never presumed he was dead.  All at once, I can't imagine being this woman and yet I feel her pain so deeply I feel as though I will cry for days.  In that moment, she must have felt so alone.  She is pregnant and these men, these monsters have taken away he life, her family, her husband.  Angelina Jolie does such a well interpreted version of Mariane's turmoil during the entire ordeal, from realizing Danny is missing, to finding out he has been killed, to dealing the aftermath.  Mariane Pearl has written a memoir about everything she went through and her life with Danny called A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life And Death Of My Husband Danny Pearl.

It is no secret my views on religion.  I honestly feel that a lot of things that are wrong in the world, stem from religion.  There are people in the world who are willing to kill for their god.  They are willing to die for their god.  Some may see me as if I am missing something for not having this devine devotion to a supreme being.  I feel I am free by not having these beliefs.  I answer to my family and the face staring back at me in the mirror and at the end of the day, I'm good with that.  There are people in the world that because of what they believe, they turn to monsters.  They have no conscience, no morals and to me, their beliefs are shit and excuses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you didn't believe.  While I do believe in God with all of my heart I do feel many times religion turns people into absolute monsters and I do not think that is how God intended us to be.  I look at the "Christians" I know on a personal level, they are the most judgemental & hypocritical people I know.  That is what I have a problem with.  I do not attend church, I don't believe organized religion is the way to Heaven.  Most people in a church are nasty, we tried a church in our area and when we sat down the people got up and moved away - yep, that is the christian thing to do.  My church is my farm, isolated from the evil world - blessed with my animals and nature all around me.  To me, that is God at this best, not a room full of pompous piety. I too can face myself everyday and those I love.  As for Daniel Pearl, that was absolutely horrendous - Mariane is such a remarkable woman.  I'll have to see the movie.
Lisa