Monday, October 29, 2007

Polar Bear

I don't think my cat is going to be alive by morning.  I knew last week that he was looking skinny and told my husband we needed to take him to the vet soon and this week he is just awful.  They live outside and it's not always easy to see everything.  Most of the time when I finally get out to feed them it's night out and dark.  My only light is a flashlight.  When I went out tonight he seemed unsteady so I brought him in the house where I could see better.  He is completely dehydrated, despite drinking water and he is so thin that when he lays down I swear he stops breathing.  I have him on a heating pad right now as his temp only barely hit 95, normal is 100 to 102.  Typically, a cat's temp drops just before death.  He keeps looking at me like he is pleading for me to make it go away.  The only vet open is the ER and it's 80 just to walk in the door.  I can't afford that AND whatever it takes to save his life.  My husband has offered to take him to the vet as soon as the open in the morning (8am) but I really feel he won't make it that long.  I don't know what to do and at the same time there's nothing I can do.  He is my siamese, Polar Bear.  We've had him for seven years and this is the first time he's even had a cold.  I don't know if it's a good thing that he's moving around the house or not.  I really wish he would just stay on the heating pad.  I wish I could say that it makes me feel better knowing he's in the house and warm but nothing is really making me feel better now.  I feel helpless.  If I had the medicine to euthanize him right now, I would do it myself just because I don't want him to be in pain all night.  I tried calling the ER to see if they would let me buy some sub-q fluids so that I could at the very least try and rehydrate him and they said no, I have to bring him in.  I understand the reasoning behind that but not everyone can afford their fees.  I have spent so much at that place this summer that it makes me go when is it going to stop.  I could've paid several months house payments off of what I've spent on my animals this summer.  We JUST caught the house payments up because we were so behind from all the animal medical bills.  I hate this.  It would be nice to just have extra money for emergencies. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, I know what you are going through.  I will read as I am catching up, hoping for a revival.
Lisa