Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Argh, matey

I am getting so sick of checking petfinder.com classified ads and seeing people posting that they've only had a dog a few months but decided that they just don't have time for another dog.  The lastest one was a purebreed boxer and they only had one other dog but they suddenly, four months later, realize they don't have time for a second?  Maybe you should think about that BEFORE you let the dog get attached to you and your family.  I have SEVEN dogs and I find a way to give them adequate attention every single day.  It just baffles me how people can say they can't give two dogs enough attention.  They're just happy to lie at your feet while you watch tv.  I want to drag these people into a shelter and show them what all the unwanted animals get to deal with everyday.  Take them to one of the animal control agencies that don't truly care about the animals, they just want their pay check.  I honestly believe that every person should have to go into a shelter at least once in their life.  It makes them think twice about their actions or deciding that they don't want to neuter their dog because it would be unmanly.  My husband had absolutely no problem getting our boys sniped and that doesn't make him any less of a man for having male dogs who can't reproduce.  I'm sorry I'm having a bad animal day when it comes to idiots mistreating them.  By the way, when my husband tells people our dogs are fixed he says, "I got the boys neutered for Christmas, what do you want?"  I think it's funny and every male he's asked has said they want absolutely nothing.  ;)

I had to remove the collar form Cash again.  He broke it in two after I put it on him the last time and the only purpose it was serving was to further cause him injury.  He seems to be over his obession with that area for now.  Rocky has behaved like an angel with his incision.  He was the one we expected to handle it the worst.  He could care less that he no longer has that on his mind.  Cash was getting really bad about roaming and I'm hoping this will take care of that problem.  (we have a lot of neighbors who don't spay their female dogs and Cash goes looking for them when in heat)

I baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies and some rice crispies treats tonight.  I don't like the rice crispies treats but my husband and a male friend of ours have been driving me nuts about how they would love some fresh ones so I finally gave in.  You know it looks really easy to do on the package but melted marshmellows are really hard to mix "evenly" with cereal. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think people should stop and think before they get any pet.  So many people are so stupid when it comes to animals, they don't realize they are getting in to a lifetime committment of at LEAST 10 years - many more if the animal is healthy.  And the biggest thing is that puppies grow into dogs and kittens turn into cats...what part of this don't people understand???  Research the breed before buying, how many times have you seen ads saying...too big, needs room to run, not good with kids or other pets........duh idiot, a little research would have told you this in the first place in most cases.  If I can find time to groom & tend to 22 cats in one building a person can find time to handle 2 dogs.  And I don't have alot of free time on my hands either - it is what I chose to do and I accept that responsibility.  But you and I (and those like us) are different, we do what needs to be done.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm constantly telling people animals are not throw aways. The part that gets me is this is going to get worse over the holidays. Parents who want to give jr. the pet they always wanted then decide it's enough when jr. loses interest. Meanwhile the Christmas present gets sent to a shelter or dropped off somewhere along side the road. Doc and I have a very slim Christmas this year due to paying out close to over $1000 bucks the past month or two on getting the strays fixed, shots and what have you. We paid for the last litter of kittens, all their shots, and paid for half of the expenditure to get all 7 fixed so they could be more readily adopted. To us, it's the best Christmas present to one another anyway. To give love and compassion to these poor , loving throw aways.

I'm with you and Lisa research and know what your getting into before hand. These kind hearted animals deserve so much more love than they get. (Hugs) Indigo    http://journals.aol.com/rdautumnsage/ravens-lament/

Anonymous said...

Most people dont think like we do. Animals are throw away items to them. I dont see how, but they do it every day. If people would just think, most people dont have time for a pet these days. A lot of folks have no business owning a pet. Sounds pesimistic I know, but I get tired of peoples attitude towards owning and animal.