Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A murderer among us

We were getting ready to leave today to go grocery shopping when I had to go back to the bedroom to get something and that's when I saw it.  He was laying on the floor, half his face was missing and one leg.  The carnage was enough to make one sick.  This was not the first murder at the hands of Molly, the flat coat retriever, she had killed many a beloved stuffed animals before.  (scared you huh?) This one was Jasmine's most sacred of all her animals.  It was her Bear, a polar bear I had bought her at Borders to pacify her while I looked at books.  Molly had stolen her off the bed while we slept.  I know I made sure he was by our heads when I went to sleep because I was afraid she might get him some day.  So, we went off to the store and for the moment, I gave Jasmine the bear she had gotten at Turkey Run this past summer.  After we got done doing the shopping, I took my husband home so he could go to bed for the night and me and Jasmine headed out to pick up another bear from Borders.  When we got in there it took forever to find them, there were only about 20 or so left.  Now I have to find a way to dispose of the body of the old Bear without her seeing what happened.  (she would FREAK out) This is not an inexpensive stuffed animal either at $20 a bear. (unless you spend $30 in the store, in which case the bear is half off but you're really not saving anything unless you had already planned on spending that amount on books)

I removed the Elizabethan collars from both dogs tonight.  I spent a large amount of time with both of them in the house so that I could watch them and be sure they weren't going to obsess about their incision overnight while in their crates.  Rocky ignored it completely, glad to just be able to sniff the floor and Cash was happy to be able to bite at his tail and other various places that he had been unable to reach for days.  They have so much pent up energy from being crated for days.  I played with them a little in a way that wasn't too rambunctious or would hurt their incision.  I can't wait till their totally healed and they can be free again.  And besides that, we have had ice storm upon ice storm here and I'm sick of almost breaking my ass on the when I take them out on a leash to potty.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had my heart pounding...I thought oh no someone got one of the rats, one of the birds...then I read "retriever" and I thought, nah, they don't do that ~ I read on, holding my breath.  Relieved to hear it was stuffed polar bear but sorry you had to spend another $20 for a new one.  I bet Cash & Rocky were so happy to be free of the cage & the collar for awhile.  I hate those collars, they seem so cruel.  I know they serve a useful purpose but I still hate if any of mine need one.  Ugh, I can't imagine leash walking on ice everyday.  I've been watching the news and you have been pounded with nasty weather.  It is raw & rainy here everyday, I don't remember what the sun looks like...it sucks but it's better than ice.  
Take care,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I was with Lisa! As I read I was sure one of the rats had been gotten! Shelby has lots of stuffed animals, but for some reason our dog Tip has never messed with any of them. She always knows which ones are hers and which ones are off limits. Glad the doggies are doing well. I am not missing winter at all...we are having some really nice temps here in Ga, in the seventies, can you believe it! Sorry you have all that ice to contend with.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jasmine's bear. Pickles thankfully doesn't chew on anything we would miss. Now the cats fur covered mice, that's another story. I think it's more a revenge thing than an enjoyable one. Pickles stays so close to me, if she had to wear one of those collars it would drive me insane. I would end up getting beat up by the darn thing. Glad to hear the dogs are doing better. (Hugs) Indigo'