Saturday, December 1, 2007

The usual suspects

I HATE antibiotics combined with being female.  We have a sheet of ice on the roads right now so I can't even get to walmart without the risk of death.  Some days it just sucks being a girl.

Got the cats their heat lamp today.  The light is 500 watts so you'd think it would put out a lot of heat?  Not really.  I guess that's good and reduces the risk of fire but it's cold out.  It's about two feet above one of the straw bales and the bale doesn't even feel a little warm.  I'm not sure if the cats have figured it out or not.  At least the water heater is still working.  It's quite a few years old so I wasn't sure if it would still work but the water is luke warm.  Of course that means it will evaporate at the speed of light but at least it won't be frozen.  Looks like Jake may end up being a permanent indoor resident.  I'm not completely pleased about that.  He whines frequently and is irritable with the other cats.  He decides to pee on clothes or any other cloth material that may touch the floor.  It's why he ended up in the cat house in the first place.  Shawn took him back to the vet today though and she's not happy with what she sees.  I was pissed too because I followed her instructions to the letter and thought it looked really good to the naked eye.  Apparently, the outer layer of the ulcer is developing some scar tissue that may not (probably not) go away.  Without drops daily, this would be very painful and he could still end up needing surgery at a later date and time.  If the scar tissue doesn't start to get better, he will need to be indoors permanently as his eye needs to be carefully looked at daily to prevent any problems.  And if the scar tissue stays, it increases his risk of getting repeated ulcers in the same spot over his lifetime.  If I was rich and they told me that he would always get more of those awful things, I would tell them to take the eye.  Upon first hearing that, you may think I'm awful but this is a really painful thing to have happen to him over and over again.  I am actually looking out for his welfare, not worrying about taking care of him medically.  My husband has been calling him the jake-inator (terminator) because his eye has a constant red ring around it.  My infection is very slowly getting better.  I had to drain it the other night, very gross.  It still hurts a little but it could have been a whole lot worse if I hadn't went to the doctor when I did.  Cat bites and human bites are nothing to play with. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes some days it does suck to be a girl!!!!  You have your hands full with Jake right now, poor guy.  I fully understand about having them take the eye, it will save him alot of pain in the long run.  When Hope was very young they talked of taking what was there and sewing her eyes shut...horror!  I insisted we give things a chance and so far it has turned out good.  Eye surgery cost a small fortune.  I'm glad your wounds are healing - it took a long time for mine to get better and I was on medication for almost 2 months and had to go through rabies shots.  I wouldn't let them kill him so that was my only option.  Oh the things we do for love aye?
Lisa