Thursday, December 27, 2007

Let the Light shine through

For my birthday we went out to eat with friends and family.  Afterwards we all went bowling.  Jasmine was pretty good but I was frustrated because I was the one that kept having to deal with her.  My husband did nothing except bowl and play the claw machine.  It wasn't till the end of the night that I said you help her bowl from now on.  (when she does it by herself the ball goes so slow that it stops midway down the isle and we have to page someone to get it and they're VERY slow about it)  After two sets, we headed home.  It was still really early when we got home and I was feeling like an old person whose birthday stuff is over before the sun goes down so I asked Shawn if he wanted to go see a movie.  Now, this would be the first time we ever took Jasmine to a movie theatre so there was a little nervousness surrounding it.  Once we got to the theatre, there was two massive lines and I decided it wasn't such a good idea but changed my mind a block later.  Shawn went in and asked how many seats were left and she said 192.  He came back out to the car and I jokingly (we were waiting in the car to see if it was packed or not) said yeah out of what, 200?  Imagine my surprise when I turned the corner in the theatre and there were two people seated.  (I didn't want to be in a packed movie theatre with a toddler) We were seeing I Am Legend.  Most of the movie is pretty devoid of zombie like creatures till the last half hour.  Unfortunately, the last half hour was enough to scare the crap out of me so you can imagine how Jasmine was feeling.  She had both her ears covered and her face shoved into my chest.  But she did REALLY good.  She didn't run around, yell or do anything you expect little kids to do in that kind of enviroment.  The one great thing about taking a kid to the movies, people avoid sitting near you as if you had leprosy.  Only one set of people sat anywhere near us and they were quiet and seemed unbothered by a toddler in the theatre during the last showing of a scary movie.  At any rate, I definitely reccomend this movie despite what the critics have said about it.  I would even go see it again... minus child.  It was just a really great horror/sci-fi movie and as always, Will Smith's acting was great.  We'll probably go see Sweeney Todd before it goes out of theatres... they were out of pretzels and I really wanted one... it's worth the 7.50 a piece for the movie... right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to see that when it comes on PPV ~ I haven't been to a movie since the 80's and I think it was "Clean & Sober" ~ tells you how long that has been!  Awe, poor little Jasmine scared so bad!  How nice she behaved for you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!  MAY YOU HAVE MANY, MANY MORE!!!!
xoxo
Lisa

Anonymous said...

We avoid theaters like the plague! I cant tell you the last time we went. Now that we have Netflix we dont have time to go to the movies there are so many coming in the mail that we HAVE to see! LOL...Shelby never liked the movies when she was little. I had to buy her a pair of earmuffs because the sound in the theater was always so loud it would hurt her ears. She wanted to see movies, but was reluctant at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday hon! As per usual lately I'm playing catch up. I usually have to wait until things come out on DVD. The theatres around us don't cater to hearing impaired devices yet. I kind of miss the movie experience since I've been deaf. Then again there is a lot to be said to be able to watch a movie in solitude in your own home. I will definitely try to catch I Am Legend, just on your recommend alone. Sounds like Jasmine did fine for her first time in a theatre. (Hugs) Indigo