Friday, November 30, 2007

None for me, thanks

I guess those of us who don't believe in god were raised "wrong" and are morally impotent.  And people wonder why I choose not to believe in a god or religion for that matter.  Forgive me but catholics are the most hypocritical bunch of people I've ever met.  Preach, preach, preach but don't bother to follow the moral high ground.  Teach your children to stone the nonbelievers because it's the right thing to do.  God would want that.

The following was taken from wsbt.com our local television station

(WSBT) Some parents are being warned not to let their children see "The Golden Compass."

The controversial movie is set to hit the big screen next week.

The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights is leading the fight against the movie, urging people to boycott.

Now, some local Catholic schools and churches are making sure parents are aware.

“The Golden Compass” is based on a popular children's book written by outspoken atheist Philip Pullman.

“I mean, my kids are excited. They want to go see it. It's exciting,” said parent Christine Zupsich.

But critics say the movie is a watered down version of the book, which is part of a trilogy centered on a fight against organized religion.

It includes a plot to kill a character known as "God."

While the movie doesn't go that far, parents at St. Bavo's School in Mishawaka received a note fromthe school’s principal, urging them to boycott.

“We don't need that because the church does so much for our children, no matter if it’s Catholic or not, and so to disintegrate or say God does not exist, I think is totally wrong,” said Principal Linda Hixon.

She's not alone.

The weekly bulletins at both St. Anthony's and St. Jude Catholic Church in South Bend contained warnings about “The Golden Compass.” They ask parents to take special consideration if thinking about going to see the film.

But Zupsich says, although they are Catholic, she'll probably still let her children see the movie.

“I'm not worried at all because I know I've raised my kids the right way. They believe in their faith and it's very strong,” Zupsich said.

The Catholic League is concerned the movie will lead children to the book.

The actors in this film have rejected the idea that the movie's message is anti-church.

The movie hits theaters December 7.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you know that I do believe in God - having said that I don't believe in organized religion or denominations of religion.  Most of the people I know who sing the loudest in the choir every Sunday are fullblown hypocrits who, in my opinion don't have 1/100000 of the goodness, true goodness in their hearts as I do.  I know that sounds arrogant but it is the truth.  I don't bust on people for things, I live and let live ~ these so called "christians" are always sticking their nose in places it doesn't belong.  I went to a church - a HOUSE OF GOD...and when my mom & I sat down the people, God loving, fearing..good christians because they are in church people - got up and moved!!!!!  Oh yea, nice....we never went back.  My church is my farm, my animals and the beauty of nature - not people.  If the movie is anti-God then those who are offended clearly shouldn't see it.  Nobody has the right to impose their views...whatever they are on anyone else.  Sorry I went off on this!!!
Lisa