Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I am wolf

I have decided participate in the Judith Heartsong essay contest this month.  This month's Artsy Essay Topic is If you could be any animal, which one would you be... and why?
 
My ears prick as I smell danger.  I position my body between my tiny pup and the entrance to the den.  Anyone that dares threaten my offspring will have to fight me to the death before touch a hair on her fluffy head.  Once the danger passes, I wrap my tail around my warm sleeping puppy.  I am ever aware of any threats that pass by.  The small rabbit that sniffs the entrance to the den, causes me to once again feel protective.  I feel as if all the creatures of the wild possess the ability to somehow harm my delicate baby.  I use my sensitive nose to smell out the perils that could entrap the two of us.  The forest finally seems to be quiet.  I tentatively sleep, ever aware of the noises of the deep.  I'm awakened by the stirring of my little one.  She is hungry.  I must make the choice to take her for her first hunt or leave her without my constant protection.  The choice is obvious, she will be coming with me.  She's ever the comedian, chasing down grasshoppers and even taking her hand at a small mouse.  Her bounding was much too loud and the mouse scurried into a snake hole.  Even the mere mice of the forest must make tough choices regarding their safety.  She hasn't learned the stealth that I must teach her to survive.  I feel as if pulled in two directions as I see a large hare in the brush.  Do I leave her in pursuit of our lunch?  She has to eat to survive and without a second thought I take off in chase.  My little fur ball pounces after me.  I can smell her excitement.  She has no idea what she's supposed to be doing but she's enjoying doing it.  Once the hare has been caught, I allow her to snack for a few minutes before we head back to the den.  It's already been a full day for her and my senses are on overkill trying to keep her safe.  We nap just outside the den under a ray of sunlight.  I am, however, on alert.  I am always aware of those hiding in the bushes.  I am a wolf, noble and fiercely protective. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, I like it alot!  Linda

Anonymous said...

welcome Jamie and a wonderful first essay! Very well done, I love all the imagery.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the essay, good luck to you!  
xx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I'm delighted this was able to appeal to you. You truly did a great job hon. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

An excellant entry!  Very well written.  Full of fun, imagination and insite.
Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Stopping by way of referral from Indigo.

Great Entry!

Rose

Anonymous said...



I enjoyed your entry very much and the insight it gave me into your personality.


Jim /The Gray Epee/ MoonPuma

Anonymous said...

I loved your essay.. Just wonderful... thank you for joining us for this months contest.

Kristal
http://apoeticdreamerssoul.blogspot.com/