Thursday, May 22, 2008

When bathtubs attack

I had no plans to take a shower tonight.  I was feeling exhausted (even though I slept for twelve hours the night before) and was feeling more than a little dizzy.  Jasmine started in on wanting to take a bath.  So I finally relented, got the shower going.  We both jumped in.  I screamed.  An eye piercing ridiculous scream.  There was an ugly, HUGE bug that had been hiding behind one of her bathtub toys.  He (or she, I didn't look for anatomy) looked sort of like a centipede but furry.  I found one in the kitchen the other day and carried him outside.  He was small and cute.  This one was giant sized and moving at a fast rate.  Of course, my scream only made Jasmine panic at the sight of the bug.  She's not a fan of bugs, spiders or any insect.  I'm usually not afraid of bugs.  I think they're neat and fun to watch.  I just didn't expect them in my bathtub.  These particular bugs seem to like basements but occasionally they come up to the surface.  I went in to get a tattoo a few years ago and their shop was known for having some of these bugs in the basement.  (not in an unsanitary way... a lot of houses around here have these bugs and even exterminating makes no difference, new ones come back) I was bent forward as the tattoo artist was working on  my back.  I said 'What the hell is that thing?  Its like a huge fuzzy centipede."  The tattoo artist immediately stopped what he was doing and slide his chair towards the door.  "Where?!  Dude, I don't do well with bugs.  No, dude, seriously I don't like bugs."  This is a guy who has the back of his head tattooed as well as his face.  He's a big guy who FREAKED at the thought of a bug near him.  Luckily, the bug crawled back through a hole into the basement otherwise I think tattoo dude might have had a coronary.  Back to the original story.  My first thought was to get some water and make him go bye-bye down the drain.  Then my conscience kicked in and I realized I'd feel awful the rest of the night if I killed this bug for just getting stuck in the bathtub.  I emptied out a cup (it previously had water in it) and carried him out the front door.  (in a towel no less)  All the while Jasmine is SCREAMING.  She's shaking.  You would've thought a monster had just come up through the drain.  She wanted nothing to do with a bath after that.  I let her out and she waited for me in the bathroom while I finished my shower.  It will probably take a while to get her to take a shower without a fight.  I tried to explain to her that he was outside now and he was scared of us.  I wanted her to know I wasn't scared of the bug but startled that he was in the bathtub.  She asked my why and how he got in the bathtub.  I told her he went looking for some water to drink because he was thirsty but then he couldn't get back out so he ran to me to help him.  Now she says lady bug was scared.  Lady bug wanted to drink.  Lady bug outside now.  Maybe if she views him as helpless and scared, she'll be more likely to take a shower.  We'll find out soon enough.

We've had a rental car for a week now.  This year has not been a good one for pot holes in our county.  We filed a claim with the city but they eventually denied us.  (I think it was because the dealer added so many extra costs that were "caused" by the pot hole) Our insurance is taking care of it for us.  We had a bent rim and it continued to leak air.  They also replaced a really expensive part and one of the few parts on a car that I don't understand or know how it works.  (I grew up around a lot of boys) I get my car back tomorrow.  I should be excited.  But I LOVE the rental and I feel awful for loving it.  You see, the rental is a medium sized SUV, a Jeep.  Being the environmentalist that I am, I prefer to stay as green and eco friendly as possible.  SUV's are gas guzzling polluting machines.  But it rides so smooth and the seats are like sitting on a comfy couch.  My husband is excited because I swore I would never drive an SUV or truck.  I've had bad experiences with both over the years.  My husband rolled our Ranger a few years ago... with me in it.  No serious injuries but it left a lasting impression on me.  When I was too young to drive, my dad took me out on some country roads and let me drive his fullsize van.  The roads were curvy and bumpy.  The shocks were old and bouncy.  I really thought that we would roll over no matter how slow I took each curve.  We never did but again, lastingimpression.  I had no choice this week but to drive the Jeep if I wanted to get around anywhere.  What a difference a few years of engineering and good shocks can make.  If we ever do get an SUV (won't be for YEARS), it will be a little more gas and eco friendly than the Jeep but now I am considering that driving them doesn't mean I will flip over.  I want a Ford Freestyle when we go to get one (again YEARS) which was ok with my husband a few weeks ago but now he says it looks like a big station wagon (which is something he refuses to ever drive, let alone own) and god forbid he looks like a person with kids who needs a bigger vehicle that isn't "cool."  It's ok, I'll be the one to win because it will be my vehicle.  ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the bug catcher in my house. Thankfully I grew up on a farm and saw all kinds of bugs. Doc is terrified of bees and wasp. No, he's not allergic...just freaked out by them. I've been woken up in the middle of the night to save him from a wasp that may of gotten in the bathroom. I don't kill them either, I catch them and let them back outside. He always asks "Why?" they'll just come back in the house. Because what he doesn't realize is neither of us have been stung by one in the 5 years I've been living here. Strange but true. Doc's the same way with a vehicle, in a few months we are due to get another. He keeps looking at the huge SUV's with 4 wheel drive. Then again he does have a lot of band equipment he transports. Still with the price of gas these days...it just seems insane. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
I'm in a rental today, too.  Only I'm not as happy about it.  Someone rear-ended me on Sunset Blvd. on Wednesday night and now I'm in what I call my "plastic rental car."  The interior is entirely "plastic" and the thing drives as if the parking brake is on (it's not).  I always liked my car but now I have an all-new appreciation for it ...!
Best,
Marty
P.S.:  I'll bet your approach regarding the bugs worked with Jasmine ... it's the same approach we used to take with my little sister, making the bug seem more like a "friend" ...

Anonymous said...

I'm friendly with most bugs, but I HATE spiders...especially when they surprise me indoors.  Glad you survived!  ;)

Russ

Anonymous said...

Ewwww...I hate those billion legged furry things!  I would scream too, honestly.  I make Doug take them outside.  I have to drive a huge diesel truck...no option with the towing we do.  I love the truck but don't like the environmental consequences but on the bright side (I am finding one) it gets between 16-18 mpg.  Our last truck was a gas engine and got 8, thankfull that is gone!  Enjoy the jeep while you have it, at least insurance is covering the cost.
xx
Lisa