Monday, May 5, 2008

Oh just bite me

Doodle, my very first foster that was adopted in February, is being returned.  I am very unhappy about this situation.  I have no problem taking her back into my life, she was a wonderful dog.  The problem I have is the reasoning.  The woman has two children, ages 4 and 6.  From what she says, Doodle was sleeping on the couch, when her son (4) got on the couch and Doodle grabbed him by the throat.  She didn't break the skin but the woman felt she couldn't keep her for this reason.  The only thing I have in the woman's defense is that she was crying while on the phone with one of the other volunteers.  My opinion?  Doodle was asleep and the little boy came running through the house, jumped on the couch or even Doodle herself, startled her and yes she snapped at him and then realized what she'd done.  I would never believe that she would do this on purpose nor that she would have continued the behavior once she was awake and alert.  My daughter was able to ride her around the house and rough house with her and never did Doodle even nip at her or growl.  I will not have this dog be considered another bite case.  I have offered to take her back as my foster but have yet to hear anything.  (even though I have the matted mess, Monty)  I would love to have her again, even if for a little while.  We loved this dog and let all sixty pounds of her sleep in bed with us every night.  At least the lady didn't just drop her off at her local shelter and is driving the five hours to return Doodle to us this Saturday. 

Tomorrow our windshield is being fixed.  I was driving and a rock smacked into the windshield, cracking it.  They are going to try a quick fix and see if that takes care of it, otherwise they will be removing the windshield and replacing it with a new one.  (this is all done through our insurance)  It's an inconvience to be without a car for the day.  My other car is... not drivable at the moment.  I always take my husband's car to work on Saturdays since my car has the car seat, it's just easier.  After work this past Saturday, I started the car and everything felt normal until I put it into gear and then I felt something give in the brake petal.  I managed to drive down the road to Hobby Lobby after talking to my husband to come meet me.  I had no brake whatsoever in the front.  I was using only the rear pads to stop.  We think it blew a brake line but we won't know till husband gets under it and takes a look.  I sure as hell wasn't driving it home so we left it there and husband's friend towed it back to our house.  I've been lectured both by my mom and husband about how dangerous it was to drive the car to hobby lobby, yadda yadda

I was viciously bitten by one of my mom's outdoor cats today.  Ok, ok, mom I'll tell the truth.  I kind of provoked her.  She's always been a loose canon and it doesn't take much to get her going but I was expecting her to play with me, not try and eat me.  She grabbed onto my hand with her jaws and didn't let go till I forced her jaws to open.  And then she proceeded to growl at ME!  Evil Hitler cat.  (she has a hitler mustache and considering she's always been a bitchy cat, we call her hitler from time to time)  Now I have another bite to keep an eye on.  They're starting to call me a sadist at work with how seemingly uncaring I am when it comes to getting bitten or scratched.  Yes it hurts but it goes away and sometimes you have little choice in the matter.  I told my director the other day that I have pretty much been bitten by every common animal in the area from small to large.  I will list the ones that come to my mind first.  Mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, degus, guinea pigs, rabbits, (both of which hurt far more than you would expect) lizards - big and small, several different (and some wild) species of snake, birds - everything from a finch to an amazon, raccoons, skunks, deer, goats, horses, donkeys, squirrels, dogs, cats, and I'm sure there are plenty I'm leaving out.  I don't fear the bite, I fear the pain that comes in the seconds, minutes, and hours AFTER the bite.  Oh and now, I've also been bitten by humans... Jasmine.  Maybe I am a bit of a sadist after all.   *wink*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really seem to get bit alot!  I'm sorry Doodle is being returned.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Doodle being returned. Somehow I think it's more than the incident. Sometimes people who take on larger dogs are unaware just how much work they can be. To me , if you take on an animal it's your responsibility to work through whatever issues said animal has...Then again not everyone gets that simple concept like you and I do. As for bites I think it comes with the territory of dealing with animals. You should see my hands right now. I have to wash out the kittens eyes, they have a slight upper respiratory infection and they are learning they have claws. They wrap around my hand and wrist and dig in. Small price to pay when you get the gunk removed and see those bright beautiful eyes staring back at you. The bounce in their little paws afterwards tells me they appreciate it. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I tend to shy away from big birds like Maccaws, they scare me as far as their capability to take your finger clean off. Friend of Ians has one that will call him over, he will say...COMEERE COMMEERE...and then whang his beak on the cage at him trying to get at him to bite him! Crazy bird. I am sorry Doodle didnt work out with that lady, but I know you will find Doodle a better home to go to. Hugs,Kelly

Anonymous said...

Geesh, I would nail someone too if I was asleep only to have some brats hands around my throat...call me crazy.  I'm sure they'll adopt another dog only to have something go wrong with that one too...some people just shouldn't have pets.
xx
Lisa