Monday, June 9, 2008

The dark side of the Amish community

I know there are a lot of people out there that look upon the Amish as a kind people.  People who mind their own business and take care of their own.  My view on the Amish is very different than those people.  I have firsthand experience through the rescue's that I've worked at and have seen the abuse that the Amish put their animals through.  My first was an elderly horse.  His hooves were overgrown, he was underweight and had been worked damn near to death.  He lived a year before his body couldn't hold out any longer.  I have firsthand experience at the rescue I currently work at with several sets of young dogs coming in just since I've worked there.  (since January)  It's very difficult for me to keep quiet when people talk about what great people the Amish are.  Are there some out there that are good?  I'm sure there are but I, personally, have not met them.  I leave you with a very graphic video of an Amish farm that is here in Indiana.  (we have an overabundance of them)  It seems that Pennsylvania has a real problem with Amish puppy mills as well as here in Indiana.  A great deal of the research I've done, has led me to Lancaster County in Pennsylvania. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
I like to think people are just people, some good, some bad.  I don't know any Amish personally so can't really judge ...
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

Huh, you are preaching to the choir here.  I grew up in Lancaster County and live just across the river.  I know alot of Amish.  You are right that 99% of them find animals only utilitarian and treat them that way.  I know of only a few who take care of their horses and other livestock.  But when you look at how they treat their wives & children does it come as a surprise?
xx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Why isnt the ASPCA coming in and taking these animals from them for improper care? I dont see any clean water or food. Treatment alone is neglected. They need to be shut down.