Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fire finger without flames

Have you ever had rope burn?  Ever have it all the way to the muscle?  I got to experience just that today.  I took Doodle to an adoption event earlier in the day.  She's awful on a leash.  It's to the point that I dread taking her anywhere at all.  She was good walking across the streets to get to our tent.  She was overly excited around all the people and it took a while to get her to settle down.  I sat in a chair and held her leash as there were no open crates at that time.  She had been sitting next to me for about five minutes, without moving much so I must have gotten comfortable and let my guard down.  Next thing I knew, she took off at a full run.  The leash was tangled up in both of my hands.  She actually ripped me out of my chair.  At that same moment, a crate opened up and I put her in it so I could tend to my hand.  I hadn't really looked at it yet.  Sure enough, all the way to the muscle.  I have multiple gashes where the leash went into my skin on both hands as well as bruises.  My ring finger on my right hand got the worst of it though.  It's really uncomfortable.  For the first few hours, I couldn't bend my finger or completely straighten it out.  You can't imagine the names I called that dog in my head.  She didn't get allowed out of the crate again till it was time to go except once when a lady wanted to see her.  And then, I put her in the car before it was time to go so that I could help pack up without being jerked around like a stuffed animal.  This is a dog who in January was 65lbs and has put on at least ten pounds since then.  Not only is she big, but she's strong.  I've been very honest with people about her inability to be leash walked.  I try to be very honest about all of my fosters flaws.  Better they know now than find out in a month and want to bring it back.  Needless to say, I still have Doodle.

To answer some questions :::  There are reasons I would like my mom to be with me during my labor and delivery.  My husband didn't do much at Jasmine's birth aside from hold my leg while I pushed.  My mom was the one feeding me ice chips, getting me wash cloths for my forehead and holding a basin for me to vomit in.  Iknow it's because he didn't know what exactly he was supposed to be doing but it made a huge difference having someone who did know there.  If I can avoid having her watch Jasmine, I will, although my mom is the person I trust the most to watch her.  My grandmother is getting up there in the years and I think watching Jasmine for that long would be a bit difficult for her.  Other than that, the only other person I trust would be my brother's girlfriend but again, who knows how long it will all take and she could be in school during the time I am in labor or it could be in the middle of the night and I'm not waking up a sixteen year old girl to come watch my kid in the middle of winter.  Pretty much I feel screwed.  My dad is out of the question as he does.... recreational activities which I do not approve of, nor do I approve of my daughter being around them.  No way would I leave her with my MIL.  I don't leave her with my MIL for even an hour right now, so HOURS isn't even a possibility in my mind.  Jasmine LOVES my uncle Jeff but he is under a lot of stress, works between six and seven days a week so I'm not putting that on him.  I may just end up having to train my husband to do what my mom would before we get to that point.  After everything is said and done, I have to decide what I want to do AFTER the birth.  Do I have Shawn stay with me overnight as he did last time and Jasmine stay with my mom?  Or do I beg and plead with my mom to come stay with me overnight so Jasmine will feel a little less like something is going on with me?  I know I can't stay there alone.  I have occasional panic attacks and I can't tell you how many times I came close to losing it in the hospital last time even when someone was with me and if anyone mentioned leaving me by myself, I went pale.  Again, if it hadn't been for my mom, I would've spent a great deal of time alone in that hospital.  My husband claimed to be going "stir crazy."  I was like, deal with it, I'm stuck here like a prisoner.  I was terrified to sign out on my own because I'd had such a severe infection at the time of my delivery so I begged my nurses to let me go home or to get the docs to let me go home but I wasn't leaving without my baby either.  (even though at that time I felt little to no connection to her due to severe post pardum depression, I've never been so grateful for a celebrity writing a book.  Brooke Sheilds may have saved me a lot of heartache with her story of ppdAnyways, that's where all that stands to clear up everything. 

I have a question if anyone knows the answer.  Why is it that bamboo is so green friendly for wood floors?  Aren't there panda bears out there that are starving due to all the bamboo being cut down for more houses?  To me that's not green friendly.  Maybe I'm wrong on my information, it's just something I'm recalling in the back of my rolodex of a brain. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Doodle hurt you.  Have you tried her with a Halti collar?  I have had good success with those.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Bamboo may, I say may be green friendly because of its ability to grow so fast & furious.  I don't know but that is my guess.  Yeah, I have had rope burns like you describe.  My stallion used to do that to me alot ~ well before I got smart and wore leather gloves with the fingers out.  Hope you can work out the logistics with your mom, Shawn & Jasmine.
xx
Lisa