Friday, March 28, 2008

$500 Later

Where do I begin?  I woke up earlier than usual with Jasmine.  The first thing we do every morning is let the dogs out.  I put them all outside and got Jasmine some snacks and went back to the bedroom to watch some tv for a while.  I never meant to fall asleep, certainly not with the dogs outside unattended.  A few hours later I woke up and went to go call my mom.  I let a couple of the dogs in and went to chat on the phone.  The others seemed to be out busy with something.  I noticed that Rodeo was really dirty but thought it was just from some heavy playing.  After getting off the phone with my mom, I went to let the rest of the herd in and was now very aware that something was not right with Rodeo.  He was cowering in a corner and when he finally came out, he was limping badly.  I got him in the kitchen but really couldn't see anything because he was so caked with mud.  I knew he was bleeding from somewhere.  I filled the bathtub with warm water and tried to get some of the worst of it off.  After drying him off a little bit, I put a blanket on the kitchen floor and had him lay on it.  I rolled him on his side and noticed a deep wound on his inner thigh.  He sat up and I looked at the other side of his thigh and saw his muscle protruding from another wound.  Honestly, I started freaking out a little bit and was starting to hyperventilate.  (something new for me)  I called my husband (who was out at a bar with friends) and told him he needed to come home n.o.w.  Of course he had to take one of his friends home first so I told him I would get Jasmine up and ready and call him back.  After everyone is ready to go, I called him back and told him to meet me at the Emergency Clinic.  It wasn't until I was halfway there that I realized they weren't open yet.  Shawn got there first and called me to say they'd be open in a half hour so we would just wait.  Once I got there though, they just let us in even though it was before hours.  He bled all through the waiting room and then in one of the exam rooms.  They took him back to do what I believed at the time was stitch him up.  An hour and a half later, they came out and told me that they had to do minor surgery as two of his top muscles on the rear leg had been torn and separated so they had open him up to get everything arranged and stitched together.  They also had to open the bottom of his thigh as those muscles had been separated.  He is on human strength pain relievers and antibiotics.  They said he will extremely uncomfortable tomorrow.  They also put on an elizabethian collar.  I hate those things.  Rodeo won't even move with it on.  To take him out to go potty I have to remove it and put it back on when we get back in the house.  I originally thought that my doberman Cash was the culprit but now I'm leaning more towards Rocky.  For one, Cash was up by the house when I went to let everyone in, while Rocky was out back licking the ground.  (assuming blood)  Rocky also will be going to the vet tomorrow to have his eye looked at as he seems to be unwilling to open it and it's red and oozing.  I was going to take them both today but Rocky attempted to go after Rodeo while I was getting them ready to go to the car.  Therefore, I chose the worse of the two to go.  I've thought for a while that it would be best for everyone if we found Rocky a new home.  He has been becoming aggressive with the other animals and is food aggressive with both human and animal.  It's just hard to finally make that decision.  The vet said that whoever the fight was between that they were out for blood.  Poor Rodeo looks just miserable.  I just don't know what to do at this point.  I could put an ad in the paper and require that I can get vet references, house check and that they don't have any other animals.  I don't know.  I just want to go to sleep and wake up to find this has all been a nightmare.  I will post pictures of Rodeo's wound (after surgery of course) after Jasmine (finally) goes to sleep. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truthfully would not trust that dog to be around my daughter, or any other humans.  

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh what a horrible experience!  i would have been hyperventilating too.
Poor Rodeo,  I hope he makes a full recovery.  I don't like those collars either but it is the best thing for him right now.
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
How terrible ... and even worse that you have to take an educated guess at the culprit.  I hope Rodeo recovers quickly.
Best,
Marty