Friday, March 21, 2008

I want just ONE quiet day

Do NOT read this entry if you are eating or preparing to!!!!!!

I was planning on cleaning the house a bit tonight as it's a mess and with all that has been going on, I haven't had a chance to do much of anything at all.  I kept hearing noises coming from the small animal room (rats, rabbit, birds) and I finally decided to go see what was going on.  Some how, at some point, Tikki managed to get out of his cage and was trying to fight with his "friends" through the bars of their cage.  I picked him and immediately noticed an injury to his stomach as well as oozing pus.  Crap, what the hell do I give a rat for infection?  I took him in the bathroom while I tried to figure out what to do with him.  Eventually, I decided to treat it like I would if it were a cat with an infection, minus penicillin.  I wet his stomach over and over again trying to loosen the scab so I could pull it off and drain the infection.  He was such a good boy even though I know it was painful.  The smell was just terrible.  Hours later, my bathroom still smells like death.  Jasmine had to leave the room several times.  Hell, I had to leave the room a few times.  I have no idea how he became injured in this way as he is alone in his cage and I don't see anything he could've hurt himself on.  Eventually, I got most of the scab off and began flushing the wound with warm water and using a q-tip to clean out the inside of it.  I swear, the entire time he just sat there patiently waiting and at one point even began cleaning his feet as if to say well I don't have anything better to do at this angle.  After getting him cleaned up I put some triple antibiotic ointment in it and put him back in his regular cage for a few minutes.  I then got started cleaning out the ferrets old cage.  I knew I needed to house him somewhere that I could keep completely clean and this was the only place large enough.  I washed it out and dried it and then had to figure out how to place the shelves so as to keep him safe.  (so he couldn't fall a large distance)  I put a hammock in his cage as well as several hideouts and two hand towels.  He hasn't moved much since I put him in there.  He tends toget scared easily in new places.  I covered the cage with a blanket and turned the light off.  Hopefully, he calms down by morning and doesn't try to escape.  This is the second time he has mysteriously gotten a wound on his stomach.  (the wounds look almost ulcer-like)

Shawn got the electric fence completely hooked up but we're waiting till tomorrow to see if it is working.  I'm sure as hell not touching the wire to find out.  The plan is to let Rocky off the tie out and wait for him to jump the fence.  If he doesn't cry, it's not working.  If it works, the dogs will get to spend a lot more time outdoors.  They will be VERY happy even if they can't escape.  I hate using the fencing but it's that or have them get hit by a car.  My director is planning on doing the same thing at her house if it works at mine as she too has problems with the dogs getting out. 

Thursdays are usually ferret cage cleaning days.  Because of the whole rat incident, I only did half the cage.  Shawn is supposed to drill holes into the sides of their litter boxes for me tomorrow.  They keep moving them out of the corners and then just going poop on the floor of their cage.  It's been driving me nuts.  Not to mention that it smells. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good boy he was, I would have never thought a rat would be so easy to work with.  It probably felt so good to have it cleansed.  I hope the fence works, it surely would ease your burden quite a bit.  Can't wait to hear if it was successful.
Wishing you a Happy Easter!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I need to reread this entry the next time I feel grumpy about picking up after my little band of critters.  

Russ

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Sounds horrible ... I don't know how you do it.  Cleansing a rat's wound?!? ... yikes.
Best,
Marty