Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Don't bite the hand that fosters you

The rescue got in an email today that basically said please help, dogs will be euthanized, etc. etc.  We get these everyday, several times a day.  It's hard to say sorry but we are full as well and there is nothing we can do about it.  This particular pound is over six hours away from us in Kentucky and requires a fee to pull a dog even if you're a rescue.  I never understood that.  It will cost them to euthanize the animal and yet they want US to pay THEM to take the dog off their hands.  The reality is that by pulling these dogs, we are saving them money.  In my opinion if you really want to prevent your dogs from being euthanized, you should be a little more rescue friendly.  Not only would we have to pay the fee of pulling the dog but we would have to pay transport fees for whoever drove down there to get them.  This is not a case we are going to take on as far as I know.  There are two that I would be willing to take but there are just as many dogs in need within a reasonable driving distance as there are all across the country.  I understand why these emails are sent out constantly.  I was doing the same thing not long ago.  But when you overload rescues with these emails day in and day out, you become ignored.  One of our director's looks over each and every one of these emails and typically they all come from the same sources every day.  It's hard to listen when you send it everyday.

One of our girls got bitten by her foster cat today.  I guess it's pretty bad.  She's waiting till morning to see if she wants to go to the doctor but from the sound of it, it's already infected.  If you've ever had an infected cat bite before, you know how painful it an be particularly when it's your hand or arm. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got sick from a cat bite before.  Very unpleasant!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I hope your bite isn't too serious.  I was bitten 13 times by one of my rescues - - yeah, they hurt!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I have always heard that cat bites are nasty. As many cats as I have had, thank goodness I have never been bitten like that, deeply. I used to think I could save all the animals...but you are being realistic just like I have become. You cant save them all, you wish you could, but its just not possible. I hate that too.