Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lazy Sunday???

How did you all spend your Sunday?  We took Princess to get fitted for her harness.  She pulls a lot less on the leash now.  Afterwards, we took her with us to Tractor Supply Company to get electric fencing.  Our end bill was expensive but hopefully that will keep them in the yard.  We also found out where they had been getting out.  One of them broke a plank on the privacy fence and they were escaping that way.  Hopefully everything combined will keep them in the yard. 

Afterwards, we dropped off everything at the house and went to get something to eat.  On our way home, the little old lady on the corner was out cleaning up leaves and dirt from this winter.  She was putting them in trash bags.  When we got to the house I told Shawn to play with Jasmine outside and I'd be back after a while.  I walked across the street not knowing what to expect.  Some elderly people can be snippy.  She was very nice and was grateful for the help.  It took a little over an hour to get up all her leaves and bag them.  There's no way she could've moved those bags by herself.  I had trouble moving them.  She's almost ninety and frail.  I told her if she ever needs anything else to come by the house.  I still can't believe she was going to do all that on her own.  She said her husband fell on the walkway the other day and broke some bones in his face and is still in the hospital.  Thankfully, someone stopped and called 911 for her.  We talked while we were cleaning up.  She definitely has lived a full life.  I'm sure I haven't heard the half of it.  She wants me to come over and look at her Alaska pictures (she used to live there) when it gets warmer out.  Now, honestly, I don't look forward to looking at hours of photos with a little old lady that I don't know BUT it would make her day so I'll end up doing it.  It won't kill me to listen to her life for a few hours and who knows, maybe I'll learn something.  I feel good about doing but it sucked.  haha  I was having an awful asthma attack by the time it was all over.  When I came home, I played with the dogs and Jasmine outside.  Throwing frisbee's and chasing everyone around.  It makes me really look forward to summer.  I'm getting Jasmine a cheap metal swing set for now.  When we move into our "permanent" house, she'll have one of those nice wood ones.  I don't want to spend all that money right now as there's no way that it would be able to come with us. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at those pictures might be a real drag, but you're right -- it will make her day to share them with you.

Russ

Anonymous said...

You are just too sweet - yeah, it will most likely bore you to tears but it will be the world to her!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Good for you ... your act of kindness meant a lot to your neighbor, I'm sure.  I completely agree, a sympathetic ear on your part will mean the world to this woman.  I'll be she's kind of lonely and, when you get right down to it, the simple act of sharing some of her treasured memories with you is in a sense rekindling them and helping her keep them alive.
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

That was very nice of you to help her out with the yard work. I do like to hear and see old photos and stories myself. I enjoy hearing about the past. Sometimes I wish I could just step through to their past and spend a day there in a slower paced simpler time.

Anonymous said...

I just happened across your blog and noticed a few things. First, kudos to you! Today it seems like too many people are too busy to help each other out. It's nice to see that isn't always the case!
Also, I work for CedarWorks and I noticed that you may be looking for a more "permanent" swingset at some point. I thought I would drop you a line and let you know that when you are ready to look, we'll be here. We make high quality swingsets of northern white cedar that are super safe and absolutely beautiful in your yard. As a mom I know safety is important for your kids, our products are safe as well!
http://www.CedarWorks.com
Anyways....you're a great example of what America stands for and good luck to you when it comes time to listen about Alaska!!!
-Liz R.