Saturday, March 15, 2008

Just another Saturday

Today went better than expected I suppose.  Princess was a pain the first hour or so at Petsmart but I eventually managed to get her in a crate.  Immediately after crating her, I walked where she couldn't see me to give her time to adjust.  She was pretty good after that till about an hour before we were to leave, then she got antsy.  The only other problem I had with her is that she only really responded to me.  When people would come over to pet her, she would sniff them, wag but mostly ignore that they were even there.  When I would walk over she'd go nuts and lick my hand like crazy.  Not sure what I can do to change that.  She didn't get any applications today but one person was interested and said they might fill out the app. online.  We only adopted out one dog the entire day which is rare for us at this location.  It was Princess' puppy.  Quite a few cats went home which is good.  Cat adoptions had slowed down for a while.  All in all, it was a pretty slow day.  A lot of dogs and fosters were there but not a lot of activity.  We have a dog that I am just in LOVE with right now.  He was an owner return.  (guy said he couldn't handle the dog without a fenced yard... it's a POMERANIAN *eye roll*)  He's such a love bug and will crawl right into your lap.  I spent most of the afternoon spoiling him and carrying him everywhere.  He's a big blonde fur ball.  He would come home with me for sure if we weren't already a full house.  After the event I was going to go to TSC with Princess but those few hours were a lot for her to deal with and I decided she should just go home and I'd do the electric fencing later.  There were a few times when she seemed pretty stressed out.  It's common on a first event.  She came home, drank a lot of water and passed out on the bed.  I have to take her back tomorrow but just for a harness fitting.  (prevents pulling)  I'm glad I went in late so that her first event was a short one.  She's started to calm down in the house and I think with some work and the right person that she will make a good house dog.  At the very least, the whining has almost stopped, unless a cat is nearby. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing such a great thing for these animals.  I'd love to adopt another cat, but there's no room at the inn presently.

Russ

Anonymous said...

That Princess sure does sound like a pain.  I think the guy with the Pom planned on leaving it outdoors.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Hopefull the person will submit the online app and be a match for Princess.  I feel so bad for her and hope she doesn't get bounced all over from one place to another due to her issues.  I would think of her if I didn't have so many "problem children" of my own, it would be unfair to all to take on another.
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

We use a harness on Tip when we go walking so she wont pull so much. It is safer too in my opinion, they cant slip out of a harness like they can on a collar.