Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kids, number one giver of gray hair

Well it's about time!  I haven't been able to get into my journal for a few hours now.  I kept getting the whole journals unavailable popup.  The two little orphan kittens have gone to another foster for the time being.  They may end up seeing a vet tomorrow.  It's weird not being able to check on them every hour or so.  At the same time it's a relief not to hold my breath till I see them moving each time I walk in the cat room.  Hopefully she'll be able to do more with them than I was able to and they'll be up to speed with the other three soon. 

Jasmine scared the hell out of me a while ago.  She's been sick with the same cold that I've had since last Monday but hadn't seemed to show any symptoms for two or three days.  I thought she was over it.  Today she started sneezing again and her nose was running so back onto cold medicine for her.  (if nothing else, just so she can get a few hours rest without sniffling)  She had been asleep for about an hour when she suddenly woke up and was sobbing.  I felt her head and it was on fire.  I kept telling myself she just feels hot because of the way she was sleeping but my mommy paranoia was in high gear.  Then I remembered she walked into a door knob earlier (giving herself a black eye in the process) and worried she had a concussion but I'd missed the signs.  She wouldn't talk, only cry.  Finally, after about a half hour of crying on and off she asks for medicine.  I'm assuming she was crying because she feels like crap.  Once she has her medicine in hand, I ask again what was wrong, why was she crying.  She says, 'you turned off my harry potter.'  Omigod!  I said 'Honey, you fell asleep so Mommy turned off the tv.  You scared the CRAP out of mommy!'  She hugged me and told me sorry I scared you mommy.  Good lord, I thought she was in need of the ER and she was just pissed that Harry Potter was off.  She still feels pretty warm.  I would take her temperature but my husband's stupid dog, Molly ate the last thermometer we had.  I'll have to send him for a new one tomorrow.  And maybe a humidifier.  No, I think I'll get it myself.  Last time he got a humidifier that was ridiculous complicated and it ended up breaking because I didn't know how to properly care for it.  I just get the cheapo ten dollar ones that blow out burning hot steam.  Always worked when I was a kid.  (yeah I know, cool humidifiers are considered better for you now)  I don't know when I'll get her back to sleep.  It only takes a short nap to re-energize her for eight hours.  She's going to throw a fit when I say that's it, we're done.  For now I'll let her watch whatever she wants till the medicine fully kicks in. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think she may have allergies?  Linda

Anonymous said...

That would of scared me too! Kids are so emotionally charged when they get sick, it doesn't take much to get them crying and not knowing why. Hope the little sweetie feels better soon. I know you miss the little ones, but at the same time it was becoming too much trying to deal with them along with the mother cat and the remaining litter. That's a true sign of an animal rescuer to do whats best for the animal, despite your feeling of wanting to be the one to get them better. Your in my thoughts dear friend. Keeping Jasmine in my prayers on the smoke. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I couldn't help but laugh about the Jasmine story--not the scary part, of course!--that she was mad at you. "You scared the crap out of Mommy!" I hope she feels better soon!

I hope LBK and LOK will be okay, and maybe a vet visit is needed for them. You did the best you could, so time to "pass the torch." Will you be able to find out if they're doing better? I'd sure love to hear that they make it.

Hugs, Beth