Sunday, February 10, 2008

Let a little love in your heart

I was getting ready to go to sleep when I got a text message from a friend of mine.  I'm really starting to get worried about him.  I know he's been depressed for a while (although he would never admit it, as he hates to make others worry) and it seems to be getting worse.  He blogged late tonight about the only time he feels alive is when he's asleep.  He says he's fine but again, I don't know that he'd tell me if he wasn't.  A part of me wants to go over there right now so that I can see for myself that he's really fine and not lying but it's getting bad out and I still have to work in the morning.  I've been hyper vigilant ever since my friend killed himself all those years ago (ten years this month) so when I see one of my friends in distress, I worry more than usual.  I've always had very maternal instincts about myself and seem to want to mother everyone to death but I can't help it.  I just want to make sure those I love and care about are ok.  If no one mothers them and shows them they really care (far too often these days we worry more about embarrassing ourselves with acts of love and kindness towards those we care about than humiliating ourselves to strangers) then how are they to really know?  Sometimes people get lost in their own despair and all it would take to bring them back would be a heart felt word from those that care for them.  We just have to open ourselves up more to being vulnerable as hard as it is, sometimes it's even harder if you don't.

In other news, we adopted out 8 cats and 4 dogs today.  I took Doodle with me but no one showed a real interest in her other than a curiosity about her mix.  (she has a funny curly coat)  Only one woman came in that I would've approved for her anyways.  They really would've made a great pair but she didn't have a fenced yard and didn't want to get a larger dog and not have a place for it to exercise.  It's a shame, I really liked her for Doodle.  I'll be back there tomorrow.  I didn't think we had an adoption event but I was mistaken.  Drat.  It's so tiring dealing with morons all day.  (worst day adopting EVER, will explain when I'm less tired)  I also have to help get the cats out of the love a pet adoption area (where the cats are left for the week) as our week is up and another adoption agency will move their cats in.  Hopefully, I can get an early start on it and be done before 5.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are cats harder to adopt out than dogs? It always seems like there are so many more cats. I hope that your friend will be alright. This time of year so many get depressed as the winter presses on.

Anonymous said...

You have such a good heart to care for your friends so deeply, you are right that not too many feel strong feelings towards others anymore.  I am happy to hear you had some adoptions.  Maybe Doodle is just meant to stay with you....ok, I am sure you really didn't need to hear me say that now did you????    Good luck today with the adoptions, too bad you have to deal with morons ~ am looking forward to more of that story too.  Talk to you soon,
xxxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Aww Doodles is still with you....She breaks my heart, I so want her to go to a great home. If she can't your the best thing going for her. Sorry to hear you had to deal with morons....so many people don't have a lick of common sense when it comes to animals or human beings either for that matter.

Your a great friend hon, worrying over everyone. Wish I had you around when I found my own edge....(Hugs) Indigo