Tuesday, February 3, 2004

Animal updates

The budgies are settling in nicely.  I've fallen in love with each and everyone of them and don't see myself giving up any of them any time soon even though DH would like to see most of them go to new homes.  My favorite is the little disabled one.  She has been picked on to the point that she's missing patches of feathers and has a large cut in her cere.  She also has a toe that has been bent backwards.  I'm not sure if she was born with that or if it happened later.  She's definitely staying here with me, there's no doubt about that.  They eat like huge pigs.  I've had them since Saturday and they've eaten two treat sticks and a full cup of food.  My parrot doesn't even eat that much and she could eat them

I woke up this morning to my mom asking if I wanted to go with her to the hospital to visit my grandpa.  Then hearing her go omigod, what happened to Sweety?  Sweety is my kitty by the way.  I sat up and saw her eye was swollen shut and gunked up.  After cleaning off her eye, it was obvious that there had been a cat fight and she lost.  I don't think her eye is cut, I think it's just the eyelid but I bought a saline solution to clean out her eye and I'm going to watch it closely for infection or reddening.  It's kind of ironic too because I just told DH last night that I wanted to trim all the cats nails today to avoid just such a thing happening.  I frequently trim there nails as they're indoor only but have fallen behind this last month and let their nails get long and sharp.  Poor sweet cat.

Ellie has been stuck to me all day.  She has insisted on being on my shoulder since I got home.  She is actually on my shoulder sleeping right now.  I couldn't get her to go into her cage, even for peanuts.  I'm not sure what her problem is just yet.  Maybe she's a little jealous of the 5 little budgies.  Silly bird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't figure it out. I have no pets at all , but i enjoy reading your journal the most out of all of them....Life is funny sometimes huh.? A long time ago i had a runt of the litter German shepard...She was really little, but she was the best dog there ever was.And i felt so sorry for her, she looked so helpless. Your bird story reminded me of her.