Tuesday, February 3, 2004

Lung Surgery

My grandpa had surgery yesterday (Monday) to remove a portion of his lung that was cancerous.  We were at the hospital for almost 12 hours and most of that was spent waiting and wondering.  They had to remove a small portion of 3 of his ribs because the cancer had grown through his lungs and into them.  The surgeon seemed very hopeful that they had gotten it all.  All and all, everything seems to have went well.  He's in a little bit of pain which is to be expected after having all that done.  He has a chest tube coming from his side to drain blood and any other build up of fluids.  He was obviously nervous the day of the surgery but now that it's over he seems better.  You can tell by looking at him that there's not a tumor sucking the life out of him.  He's actually got some color right now.  He's got a great nurse, who frequently checks in just to see if he wants or needs anything. 

I was fine all through his surgery.  I sat with my uncles, grandma and my mom and talked, joked and told stories.  I think that's just my way of dealing with things.  Once we were finally able to go see him, I was relieved.  He was in recovery and we were only allowed to stay for 5 or 10 minutes.  I was ok, standing there talking to him, and asking the nurse questions that is until my mom said that he was having blood drained from him.  I guess if I had been expecting it, I would've been fine.  But I had no idea that he would still be bleeding and have a tube coming out of him.  I got a little dizzy, a little hot and then me and my aunt both had to leave the room... quickly.  I got about halfway to the waiting room before I had to sit down and put my head in between my legs.  A nurse walked by, made me get up and walk into the waiting room, which by then was full of people.  I sit back down, in the first chair that was open and a volunteer made me get up and lay on a couch.  I'm going to send that sweet old woman flowers.  She was so nice to me and stayed with me the whole time.  Obviously, today the chest tube didn't faze me at all.  The fainting thing happens quite frequently with me so don't be surprised to hear more of it in the future.

No comments: