Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Argh

This kid really knows the worst days to try my patience.  Doesn't help that she had pixie sticks and is bouncing of the walls.  I was supposed to go to a volunteer meeting tonight but opted to stay home with Taylor.  She has kennel cough and is on antibiotics as well as cough medicine.  I had to crate her tonight because she was coughing so much.  Poor dog.  Hopefully she'll get a few hours of sleep since I just gave her some meds.  If she had stayed in the bedroom, I would've never gotten any sleep.  Seems like as soon as she lays down, she wakes up coughing again.  This is the first time I've ever seen kennel cough.  I ended up calling my director to see what she thought.  At the time, I was afraid she was dying.  She had been hacking and coughing for over five minutes, none stop and her body was stiff, but she continued to wag her tail when I would talk to her.  And this is apparently a MILD case.  I was going to take her to an adoption event this weekend but they can't go unless they are 100% healthy so I'll probably end up doing a transport to Illinois on Saturday.  I may leave Taylor with my director that day in case she still sounds awful.  Kennel cough is actually very similar to the human common cold.  The only reason I have her on antibiotics right now is to prevent an infection.  There have been recent studies that humans can catch kennel cough if they have immune suppressed systems, but in otherwise healthy people, it has shown no signs of spreading through the species. 

You don't have to live in Indiana to adopt me as long as you can make the trip to pick me up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, I would take a couple of pixie sticks and bounce with her (winks). I wish I had the room I would take her in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the rules of having a working dog are that there can't be any other dogs in residence. It distracts the working dog too much, not to mention not being fair as they can't play with one another. Cats for some reason are ok. She is a beauty! I've never had to deal with kennel cough myself. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

That second picture...its just so sweet! I hope she will find a great home. I would get attached so easily...you are doing a great thing for these animals. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, kennel cough is nasty ~ poor dear.  I hope she is feeling better by now.  I wish I could take her but it just isn't feasible right now....if I could I surely would.
xxx
Lisa