Thursday, January 31, 2008

Poor Tarin

Jasmine woke up after only six hours of sleep this morning.  I eventually fell back to sleep while she was watching Shiloh.  At some point and time she decided it would be cute to drink some leftover Mountain Dew that my husband hadn't thrown out.  After drinking some of it, she thought it would be fun to torture the dogs with it.  She poured it on all three of them, the floor and mainly the bed.  I woke up wondering why there were three dogs laying on me and why my feet felt sticky and wet.  TV went off quickly and she was forced to go back to sleep.  I'm assuming this was a while after she drank the Dew as she seemed to be coming "down."  An hour later I woke up to my foster whining.  This was the second time she had woken me up to go outside.  I knew my husband was home and would be in to let her out in a minute so I told her to shut up and tried to go back to sleep.  Before I could, Shawn came flying in the bedroom and told me I needed to get up NOW and that Tarin was bleeding.  After not getting good sleep all night, I was a little annoyed that I was being woken up for a scratch.  I walked in the backroom to find blood puddles everywhere and my poor aussie laying on the floor, held by my husband.  After stopping the bleeding, I found that he had a large, deep cut on his main pad.  I know from previous experience that it could not be sutured so we took him in the kitchen to soak his foot and get most of the dirt out.  That's about the time I realized I had no vetwrap, gauze or bandages.  I called my mom, who has horses and always seems to have those in stock and asked her to rush some over.  We continued cleaning out his foot and then drying it.  He did really well when I got the vetwrap on and has yet to try and chew it off.  Although, going out to go potty is challenging.  I've been taping a plastic bag around his leg so that he doesn't get it wet in the snow.  The last trip out, he partially chewed the bag off.  He'll be on house arrest for a few weeks.  I wish I had some of those snow boots for dogs, it would make potty trips much easier for both of us.

After feeding the dogs, I went to bring Cash in.  As usual he just stood feet away from the back door as if he had no idea why I was calling him or what I was telling him to do.  At firstI was pissed.  It had been a really long day and I didn't want to stand in the cold and snow dragging him inside.  Once I was standing in front of him he sat.  I took a step towards him, he took a step back, and sat again.  Finally I took his tie out off (he has to be on a tie out or he will dig out and run away and I live on a very busy street) and let him run the yard.  I ran into the garage to grab a frisbee and we played in the snow for a half hour.  I tried to pretend I was on the sandy beaches in Jamacia and not in the backyard covered in freezing snow and that my hands were burning not from the cold but from wind surfing earlier in the day.  ;-)  Once I went to take him inside, I realized that Jasmine had been throwing puppy food out the back door.  Back to a bad day again.  At least it's almost over.  All this while pms-ing in a bad way.  Being male in my presence is not wise at the moment.

We're supposed to get ten inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow morning.  It's February, time for dirty, melting snow, not more falling.  I'm cold and need more dogs on the bed. 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Poor Tarin is right!  Did you figure out what caused the deep cut?
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed poor Tarin, have you found out what cut him so badly?  Good he was a willing patient for you - it makes life a lot easier when they cooperate.  I hope he heals well.  I just have to say, I don't know how you can do what you do with the animals AND a child!!!  My hats off to you sistah!!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Here's to hoping there have been better days since. Sorry to hear about Tarin hurting his paw so badly. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Hm sounds like a day to stay inside...still, I know he was glad you played with him. I had to use all that and baby socks on Tips feet one time. I would do the plastic bag thing so she wouldnt get the baby socks wet or dirty when she had to go out. You know what that dog did? She went around and around my FILs pool on a wooden deck while everyone was swimming til she tore the pads off her feet! She could hardly walk. They grew back, but I know she was in a lot of pain. Border collies, they dont know when do quit..lol.