Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Can't say I'm a Quiter

I won on ebay for the first time today.  I've bid on quite a few things in the past but have always been outbid, usually in the last minutes of the auction.  Don't worry, I didn't win anything as outlandish as football tickets.  I won an extra large hammock for my ferrets for four bucks.  They all keep trying to sleep together and someone always ends up alone because they just don't make ferret beds large enough for more than one.  I have another auction that I'm currently winning but it's got about fifteen hours left on it so we'll see if I win that one.  It's a large hanging cube that they can sleep in or play in.  I hope to eventually make most of their bedding, hammocks, etc. myself but I have to find someone with a sewing machine that they no longer want.  I've been posting on freecycle to see if anyone replies but so far no luck.  If I get good enough at it, I will open my own ebay store and sell them online.  There are only two well known people that do it now so it's not like there's not room.  I'd also like to donate them to some of the shelters.  I was also going to try my hand at dog/cats beds and things like that.  It would be nice to give a shelter dog something soft to sleep on other than the cement floor.  Speaking of shelter dogs, I'm trying to get three more that are on death row pulled.  I'm trying to do it without so much shelter assistance this time.  One problem with emailing all those shelters at once, I got a LOT of responses with the last one.  And then when I emailed them all to tell them he'd been pulled, I got a LOT more responses with specific questions about where he went, etc.  It's a lot of emailing to do out of courtesy to those who tried to help.  Out of over two hundred emails, I only got two that could've been a little more nice.  One was AFTER the dog had already been pulled (I wasn't up yet to see he had been pulled so I couldn't update those that I emailed) and the woman emailed me saying that my email was a waste of her time and the dog had already been pulled.  The other was someone saying they were full and that I shouldn't be looking at dogs on death row if I don't have a shelter support system.  While that may be partly true, don't they think they would rather more people cared enough to make a difference?  I don't know.  I don't answer those emails day in and day out so maybe it gets frustrating after a while getting all those pleas for help.  I only answered a handful of emails at the last shelter I worked at and that was mostly answering questions about animals we currently had.  One thing that I had no idea was so hard before I entered rescue, was the dogs descriptions on webpages.  Do you know how hard it is to give each and every dog a special description?  Sometimes, one dog is just like another and there isn't really anything that stands out.  You have to use the thesaurus a great deal to make it not sound redundant. 

 

This is Trinity.  She is two years old and only has three legs.  She's close enough that I am able to transport her to rescue if needed.  She stood out to me because she was so skinny.  The shelter says she gets passed up because she goes nuts when someone walks past.  (in a happy way)

This is Aly.  She is a Collie mix and still close enough to transport if absolutely necessary.  (four hours one way) I want to try and stay close to herding breeds as they do AWFUL in shelter situations and need to be pulled as soon as possible.  She looks so scared already.

This is Buddy.  I couldn't figure out why I kept going back to his picture over and over again.  I felt drawn to him.  I realized an hour or so ago, that it's because he has the same head shape and facial expression as one of my aussie's, Tarin.  They aren't the same colors, not even close but the profile is there.  He's a male collie, age unknown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The internet opens up to the good and the bad and the ugly doesnt it. There is enough suffering and torture out there to last a hundred lifetimes and more. I hate it.

Anonymous said...

I have to say Buddy really drew me in too~ they are all so sweet though ~ it just breaks my heart to think of them on death row.  14 of the cats I have were down to their last day, literally.. I look at them now and still get tears in my eyes thinking they wouldn't be HERE on earth with ME and being loved on every day of their life.  They are all wonderful and each has a personality of his/her own which is showing and growing more and more each day.  One of them is now, only now starting to come to me and meow for attention (she was a cruelty case) and it makes me feel so good to know she will never want for anything again.  I wish so badly I could do this for ALL of the animals who need help.   I just love you to death for what you do and the conviction you do it with!!!!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I wish I could take them all in! Aly reminds me of Pickles with that sad expression. Trinity, I would take in a moment. I feel so bad she is getting looked over for being a happy pup. What a fierce spirit to have 3 legs and just want to be happy with someone that loves her. (Hugs) Indigo