Thursday, January 10, 2008

I have nothing left for a subject

There really needs to be an easier way to wash a dog.  I washed two of the aussie's tonight.  I don't know why I bother, they're just going to go play in the mud.  At least they were clean for a little while.  I considered doing Savannah as well but by then my back was killing me. 

I'm watching a biography on Robin Williams.  He reminds me so much of my uncle Perry, but my uncle is on a much smaller scale.  Once he gets comfortable he can just suddenly do weird things that are hilarious.  He can kind of flit around at times to the point where it's hard to keep track of him, particularly when he's working.  But he also has as big of a heart as Robin Williams.  You can tell that my uncle cares deeply for everyone around him and for those who are in need.  I got really lucky in the aunts and uncles category. (at least on my mom's side) I just wish we could all see each other more often.  You get so busy that you lose track of time.  Suddenly it's been months, years since you last saw that person that you care so much about. 

I'm still working on getting those three dogs pulled.  Turns out the three legged dog isn't up for euthanasia as soon as they made it out to be but I'm still trying to get her pulled.  I'm hoping to be able to transport her this weekend.  These three shelters that I'm working with right now are extremely slow about responding.  You would think with a life on the line they would be a little more on the ball.  I guess that's why I don't do the administrative stuff in shelters.  I would care far too much for every email I got and strain myself emotionally, if not financially to help everyone I could.  I think that job really requires someone who knows how to put their foot down and say no.  I couldn't do that with an animal or a person pleading with me to help them save an animal.  I'll probably pay Aly's adoption fee to try and get her moved faster.  I should go up to Petsmart this weekend and get in touch with my local contact and see if she can help me or if I could start helping them find dogs.  They ONLY take dogs and cats that are set to be euthanized and I'm pretty good at finding ones that are adoptable, as well as bending over backwards to make it happen.  I have to be careful here though.  If I put myself in too deep emotionally with these dogs, I'll lose myself along the way.  My family, and animals should come first and sometimes, when rescuing, I don't do such a good job with that.  I become overwhelmed and lose track of where I am and what's going on around me.  All that matters is those animals.  I think that's why I removed myself from shelter/rescue life for so many years.  I submerse myself in this life and lose the one I had.  I needed time to regroup. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you are saying about losing yourself in it.  If I become obsessed, for lack of a better word, with an animal and it happens to me a lot with horses since there are sooooooooo many that need a home ~ I find I am distant to what I have going on in my life and that doesn't do anyone any good either.  You are amazing - I am proud to call you my friend!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful spirit my friend. The numbers of those that need help and rescue go up at an alarming rate. Some days it doesn't seem like you can get ahead of the numbers ever. That in itself is taxing. Just remember you are making a difference, even if it was only one dog at a time you could save. I'm proud of you hon! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Yes, on the last sentence. Above you have decided to go ahead and do volunteer work anyway though. Just dont let it become all consuming. Remember you have to have a balance.